We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Danna vs Andaman

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Danna vs Andaman

Hello, we are looking to stay in Langkawi late January and cannot decide between Danna and Andaman for a family holiday (couple with a five year old boy).

Danna appears to have better rooms, service and choice of food while Andaman has better beach and nature.

I am hestitant on Danna as the beach does not seem to get good reviews. Can one swim in the sea off the beach at Danna or is it just a small screened area and feels cordonned-off? What about neighbouring island owned by Danna- how good is that place for the swim and how frequently Danna has boats that go there? What about beach/ sea at Andaman, is it swimmable?

Which one would you recommend with a child?

Thank you so much!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,540 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Danna vs Andaman

Hi

The Andaman is a very child friendly hotel and lots of families stay there. However, it is very remote and unless you want to stay in the hotel all the time, you will require transport and taxies. The beach there is lovely and one of the best on the island.

The Danna is more accessible to other places. The Oriental Village and cable car is about 10 mins drive away and there are lots of other restaurants just outside the front gates. You will not see very much wildlife staying here though.

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Danna vs Andaman

My choice here would be the Andaman. The Danna is nice but the beach of the Andaman ranks amongst top ten of the world. The facilities are beautiful.

Maybe split your stay.

Another nice hotel that is very kids friendly and one of my personal favorites is Meritus Pelangi.

The north (Andaman) has less problems with jelly fish but can be infested as well. I would never recommend to swim in Telaga. I have seen plenty of box jellies there! Stay out of the ocean unless you have a save stinger suit.

Eva

South Hampton
Level Contributor
60 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Danna vs Andaman

Both are nice hotels. I only visited the Andaman Hotel which is located in a secluded area. There is not much else around and you will need to take a taxi or drive approx. 25 minutes to shops, etc... However the hotel is gorgeous and they have a great pool area! Definitely the place to stay if you want to be connected with nature.

I have stayed at the Danna and would select it to stay at with a five year old. The hotel has a child room/nursery filled with items to keep child busy (if you want a little time to yourself)! The Danna has a great pool that has a section for little kids. There is lots of room to run around the place. The Danna is also located near a marina that has various eating places(including a pizza place), convenient store and other small shops.

You can take your child walking around the marina to look at the boats and yachts there during the day and evening.

I'm don't know why people shy away from sharing the REAL truth about the gorgeous beaches in Langkawi..YES they are pristine and beautiful but are full of jelly fish. I wouldn't dare swim in the water or think about letting my child stick his feet or hands in water! In my opinion, the beaches are only good to walk and sit on in a lounge chair if you can.

Don't miss the boat ride that takes you on the Andaman sea. I'm sure your child will enjoy the fish feeding, the fish farm, and the swimming monkeys!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Danna vs Andaman

Both are excellent hotels and you can't go wrong choosing either of them.

Location - Danna is a better location in Pantai Kok. Andaman is in the middle of no where (Datai Bay).

Danna is one of the latest/newest hotels in Langkawi. It is near Telaga Harbor where you have nice view of the yachts and sea with plenty of restaurants (even a Russian restaurant). Andaman is an old timer nestled in a rain-forest setting and may look at bit tired to some.

Beach - I rate Andaman's better since Pantai Kok is never known for its pristine beaches.

5. Re: Danna vs Andaman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 24, 2013