We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi Jellyfish??

Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi Jellyfish??

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help regarding the jellyfish around Langkawi. My girlfriend and I are staying around Pantai Cenang and been seeing hundreds of what look like tiny see though jellyfish on the beach.

We have been in the sea twice and both times I've been stung though not badly luckily.

Can anyone advise on where or when we can swim and avoid the jellyfish?

I'm keen to avoid any more stings but really want to be able to swim.

Thank you in advance.

Michael

Mumbai (Bombay...
9 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

I am totally freaked out now. I am goint o Langkawi in Oct end and haven't booked a hotel yet. Looks like staying on Pantai Cenang can be fatal. Which area is good then? The one up north are quite expensive. Taj Reebak?

Or should I cancel my Langkawi plan altogether?

Edited: 3:00 am, August 26, 2013
Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Hi

Why panic & cancel?

The number of visitors to Cenang who DON'T get stung far outweighs the number that do.

Look at it this way, how many people get killed driving cars or motorbikes? That doesn't stop most people (or me) from driving.

Just relax, book a hotel with a pool & enjoy yourself.

If you are really that concerned about jellyfish you will never go into the sea ANYWHERE.

Mick

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

my one and only experience of a serious sea-jelly sting was off the west coast of india. as mick says - no reason to panic or cancel. at least you know about it in advance. this year has seen an increase in these creatures all over the world.

Mumbai (Bombay...
9 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Thanks for the response Mick & Pam. I guess I will just get going and take it easy. Will carry a bottle of vinegar with me though.

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Hi

Just be careful!

Know the risks (which you do)

Enjoy.

You will love the laid back approach of Langkawi.

Have fun

Mick

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

i must apologise - i am told i got the wrong end of the stick from a friend in the island. the sea-jellies currently around in the southern islands are not box-jellies. they do sting, and from the photos i have been sent would appear to be a type of chrysaora, which in some parts of the world are known as sea-nettles.

i have seen photos of box-jellies netted off the west coast.

Byfleet, Surrey
Level Contributor
30 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Ive just just come back from langkawi & was unfortunate enough to be stung.we were on a boom net doing the sunset cruise with lots of other people & I guess I was just unlucky as everyone else ok.the crew on boat immediately satuated my sting (3 of the buggers in different areas of my body) to bring out the poison. Ive never been stung before by anything other than a wasp so was very anxious about the way I had difficulty breathing, had tingling sensations in both arms, legs & finger tips & felt generally unwell . the bizarre thing was that it brought out an instant cold.i couldnt sleep that night either as lower back in pain. Im guessing that my body & kidneys were trying to do everything it could to get rid of the poison. I was advised that if I hadnt got a fever I should be ok within 24 hours so once i knew this I just lived through it.was given 'stingoes' to help with pain & anti hysterman tabs.

We swam in sea every day from the beaches at berjaya,chenang & tengar & didn't have any other stings so just arm yourself with vinegar, stingoes & anti hyst tabs & u should b fine.most resorts seem to be well equipped so try to just forget the little blighters are out there & enjoy the water.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

neil - i am sorry to hear of your mishap, and hope you are feeling better now. people respond differently, it is unpredictable. when it happened to me in india, i could easily have drowned, even though i was within my 'depth'. my legs went instantly numb and paralysed, dragging me under the water. i was only a few feet from the beach, jumping the breaking waves when it happened.

the vinegar is essential. you need to pour it liberally for around 15 seconds, flooding the area. this should stop any further detonation of stingers. it does not stop pain - that is not its purpose. it stops further damage.

seek medical advice, particularly if a child is involved. irukanji stings can provoke fever and serious flu-like symptoms many hours after the event.

Edited: 7:52 am, October 21, 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Look Langkawi waters are full of jelly fish, I lived and owned a boat business there for years

It is foolish to swim in the sea,stay in the hotel pool,

If you want more info johnnn222@hotmail.com

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Langkawi Jellyfish??

Sorry all, I can 100% guarantee that the waters of Langkawi are full of Jelly fish, Foolishly I let my young son swim in the sea and he got stung.

Please do not believe these business people in langkawi (boats etc) they do not care,they only care for your hard earned money. The sea is not clear at any time due to the soft lime stone rock,

to get clear water you must go out by boat. In Panti chanang the pollution is very high,due to the hotels releasing untreated water .

If you would like any more information you are welcome to mail me. dougreed12@gmail.com

I owned one of the first charter boat businesses on the island,and had the first boom swimming

operation. So I think I am qualified to post this. My son is ok now but still has the marks

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi