We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alternative accomodation?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
95 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
alternative accomodation?

Hi

We will be in Langkawi in mid-July for a few days. We would far prefer to stay in "bungalow-style" accomodation, rather than a busy hotel/resort type place.

Anybody have any ideas or recommendations? The websites all give the same-same names (maybe for good reason??!!) but would love a little more isolated than huge dining rooms and getting mixed up with the masses.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alternative accomodation?

Check out the Bon Ton resort if you want something a bit different. Restored houses . There are plenty of photos to look at on trip advisor about it.

UK
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alternative accomodation?

We've just comeback from the Tanjung Sanctuary. Wonderful. Check the reviews of the hotel on this site. Just thirty two chalet rooms, a pool and restaurant - and the most amazing wildlife and beautiful, usually deserted, beach.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
95 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alternative accomodation?

We would prefer to be on the beach so Bon Ton is not an option.

I have seen a couple of not so good reports from late last year about the sanctury, so maybe out of high season it has improved.

Is it not too isolated in terms of getting around?

UK
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alternative accomodation?

We hired a car for RM50 a day (about £8 in our money) To be honest, the attractions of Langkawi are so spread around the island, that car hire is a good idea wherever you stay.

It actually wasn't as isolated as we thought. It's one of the nearer hotels to the cable car, Telaga harbour and the seven wellswaterfall. As with many hotels on the island, there isn't anything within easy walking distance though. You would need to be on Cenang beach area to be able to walk to restaurants and shops - but you'd still be a long way from many of Langkawi's attractions.

Check the more recent reviews on here (by folowing the link 'Langkawi hotels near the top left of this page) and I think you'll find they're all very enthusiastic about the place.

Chatsworth
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: alternative accomodation?

hi Africanbeauty,

i just came back from langkawi. i stayed at pantai cenang. i loved staying there. nice beach. u could take a budget accomodation, send an enquiry to info@langkawi-internet-services.com. they r located at pantai cenang very helpful internet and beach budget accomodation.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: alternative accomodation?

Hi Casa Del Mar, have you consider? Then there is Lanai, with chalets accommodation, separate from their tower block accommodation and less crowd.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
95 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alternative accomodation?

thanks for all the help and suggestions - as confused as ever now!

Casa Del Mar too pricey and after 3 weeks in Thailand, Bangkok and Chaing Mai and time in KL and Singapore, this is the week of chilling before heading home.

So looking for peace and quiet, not in town but not too isolated either in terms of transport, etc. Price an issue as well.

I seem to be settling on Tanjung Sanctuary, based on forum advice and reviews but am open to any other suggestions you may have.

When we arrive at the airport, are there hotel reps there who you can negotiate with? We fly in at about 6pm, so finding somewhere to stay at that time of night not a problem?

UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: alternative accomodation?

Why not try one of the treetop chalets at the Malibest Resort on Pantai Cenang? They look fun. On the brochure I have the price is Rm 180 per night per room. Email address is malibestlgk@yahoo.com.my