We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria

Travelling to langkawi early January is there a need to take malaria pills? Thanks in advance

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria

I have never taken malaria tablets on my visits to Langkawi. I understand the risk is very low. HOWEVER, do not base you decision on a travel forum. Seek professional advice from your local doctor. Dengue, another mosquito transmitted disease, is more of a problem I'd say.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,184 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria

I would say that dengue is at least 10x more prevalent than malaria and there's no anti-dengue tablets. A good mosquito repellant is all that you need to be protected from both malaria and dengue.

London
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria

When ever I visit my nurse for advice on vaccinations before travelling, she always just checks on a couple of websites, fit for travel and another well known one that escape my mind. Unless other people have much more knowledgeable nurses than mine, I'd say local knowledge in trip advisor might be more valuable than the nurse's opinion!

As an example, Sapa in Vietnam is shown as a high malaria risk on these sites, and she would have recommended malaria tablets. However, my Vietnamese partner, who has acted as a tour guide in that area before, says there's negligible risk there, it's too high altitude for one thing. Personally I trust his advice more. I'm not saying don't listen to your nurse of course!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria

two issues here.

1] your own attitude to risk. malaria has not yet been recorded in lgk, but there have been cases, within peripetetic gangs of workers, in penang. january is the 'dry' season when mosquitos in general are less prevalent.

2] your health insurance. if the area in which you choose to travel is advised under the 'take anti-malarials' list available to health practitioners in your country, and you do not take them, you run the risk of invalidating your insurance.

currently, my local practice nurse has malaysia in general as requiring anti-malarials if you intend to travel off the beaten track for any length of time. [ i'm not sure of the logic of this though.]

i do not take them in langkawi. an effective insect repellent is essential - malaria and dengue are not the only problems caused by biting insects. the vector for dengue bites in daylight.

pam

5. Re: Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi