We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lankawi and Penang

UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lankawi and Penang

My boyfriend an I are off to Langkawi next week for 10 days (before KL for 3), but some people have suggested that that is too long so I was thinking about trips to other places such as Penang. I would be happy to stay overnight rather than just do a day trip if hotels aren't too expensive, but is it easy enough to get a boat there? Is there anywhere else within close distance of Langkawi that is worth a visit? and if we do go to Penang for 1-2 days what are the must-sees?

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
398 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lankawi and Penang

It's very easy to get a ferry to Penang. Just search 'Langkawi ferries'. I think they leave Langkawi around midday and take a couple of hours. The return trip leaves Penang about 8.30, though there may be more than one crossing. You could check Malaysia airlines. We got a domestic flight between the islands, for £9 on their website, though you would need to check if they're still operating direct flights, as they have cancelled some.

We've just returned from a five nights Langkawi, four nights Penang trip. There's loads to do in Penang, so the best thing to do is read some guide books, and try to work out what would be the best ratio for you, regarding time spent on each island.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lankawi and Penang

Hi Ezmerelda

The website for the Langkawi ferry is

http://www.langkawi-ferry.com/services.html

I'm sure you will find all the info you want on there.

Thought I would reply to you about the Berjaya on here to save hi jacking Goanluv's posting.

The hotel is very laid back and casual so if you are expecting something posh you will have to go up to the Datai for that.

The location of the Berjaya in the rain forest is beautiful, lots of monkeys, flying squirrels, hornbills, monitor lizards and eagles to see. Dont forget to keep your balcony door locked when you are out as the monkeys know how to slide the doors open and they will get in, pinch all the nuts and crisps from your mini bar and generally trash the room!!

Booze and cigs are very cheap in Langkawi - dont get your duty frees until you get there. At the duty free shop at the Oriental Village (about 10 minutes walk down the road from the Berjaya) litre bottle of Smirnoff Red cost around 4GPB last year. Cans of Tiger Beer and other spirits are also just as cheap. Not sure about wine.

A trip on the cable car at the Oriental Village is a must unless you are petrified of heights!!! The advantage of being at the Berjaya with the cable car so near is that you know what the weather is like before you go there!! They do not operate the cable car if it's very windy and the cloud does come down on the mountains very quickly.

Nightlife on Langkawi is practically non-existent so if that's what you are looking for you will be sadly mistaken. Most of it centres around the hotels where there is a group /singer. Actually at Berjaya there is a disco, some nights its busy, some nights empty!!

The staff at the Berjaya are brilliant - always smiling and friendly - and not because they have to. Of course, the restaurants and alcohol at the hotel are more expensive as they are everywhere.

The beach is beautiful, the sea like a warm bath and I just cannot wait until October for my return.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Lesley

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lankawi and Penang

Steady

I wasvery interested in your response because I too am planning a family trip to malaysia for the first time next year. We want to make it a 3 centre and yet avoid too much flying via KL everytime.

I understand that Malaysian Airlines have direct flights to Penang and Langkawi, returning via KL so I am hoping to do the following

London to Penang for 4 nights

Penang to Langkawi for 7 nights

Langkawi to KL for 3 nights

return KL to London

although this might prove to be more expensive than

London - KL - penang

Penang - KL - Langkawi

langkawi - KL - London

It may be that I could fly tolangkawi and then use th eferry to visit Penang

Is the Berjaya at langkawi near to the local town, restaurants etc? I likle the look of the hotel but do not want to have to use the hotel restaurant every night.

What is Penang like? I get the impression it is the "Pattaya" of malaysia but that might be unfair. Would it be OK for 3 or 4 days just to get a change of scene from Langkawi?

UK
Level Contributor
398 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lankawi and Penang

Trust me - Penang is nothing like Pattaya. I went to Pattaya over twenty years ago, and Penang is nothing like Pattaya was then, never mind what it may be like now! The main city on Penang is fascinating - lots of history, and with fascinating different ethnic areas.

The beach resort, Batu ferringhi is fun, but definitely a family or older person oriented place, in that there is plenty to do, but no sleaze or clubbing type places. It's popular for its food and its night market. So yes, it's pretty busy at night, but in a wholesome and pleasant way.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lankawi and Penang

Ezmerelda,

There are two boats a day to Penang, they both leave early afternoon.

The return boats to Langkawi leave at 8.30 and 8.45 in the morning, takes approx 2 hrs, depends on the boat and the weather conditions.

Its 45RM each way or 85 if you buy a return. You can buy a return ticket on the day of travel.

Visit the following if you have time -

Kek Lok Si Temple

Pinang Peranakan Mansion

Khoo Kongsi

Wat Chaiyamangkalaran

The above are a must for me, so is Penang Hill if its not cloudy.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lankawi and Penang

Hi Carhire

Unfortunately the Berjaya is quite a way from any local restaurants apart from the Oriental Village which is about 5/10 min walk. To get any further you would definitely need to hire a car or take a taxi.

Lesley

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lankawi and Penang

If you are staying at The Berjaya you can also take a two minute taxi ride to Telaga Harbour (8RM). There are about ten restuarants/bars and a few shops overlooking the marina.

UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lankawi and Penang

Thank you all for your replies!

Steady - the Berjaya sounds ideal as we're hoping to have a relaxing break and it would be nice to spot some wildlife (but preferably not too much of the creepy crawly variety!)

One more question, is there a cash point anywhere near the Berjaya where I would be able to use a link card?

Thanks

London, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lankawi and Penang

To Carhirer,

Your 3 centre holiday can be done with internal flights WITHOUT going through KL. Domestic flight with MH for Langkawi to Penang is only about 20 mins in the air, in a Boeing 737 aircraft (not uncomfortable propeller ones). You will get a 'refreeshment' as well. The price is around £15 I think, but do check at Malaysia Airlines website, which you could also book direct and use the e-ticket.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lankawi and Penang

The nearest cashpoint to Berjaya is at the airport, either that or you will need to travel into Kuah, depending on you card Maybank is usually the best.