We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

Hi,

We're looking at booking the Tanjung Rhu in July. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help with.

The all inclusive option seems quite popular - does anyone know if you can upgrade to it once you're out there, I'm not getting very good deals from travel agends over here.

How many pools does the hotel have - all the travel and hotel websites say 2 but I've seen a couple of reviews that mention 3 pools.

Many thanks for your help!

edinburgh
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

Hi Shuzo

In answer to your question on number of pools, there are 3! The 3rd one is new - was being bulit towards the end of last year so guess some of the websites you have been looking at are out of date! There were only 2 when we visited last summer the main one is stunning - ideal for lazing around in and very long if you are keen to do some more serious swimming. The other pool is much smaller, more shaded and in fact has sand in the bottom and surrounded by trees - pretty unusual and lovely to wander around. We never went in it and it was always very quiet. We did not see the new pool completed but looked like it would be pretty big - am sure others will comment.

We did the all-inclusive option but sorted it before we went.... from memory it was maybe £16-18 per person per day?? Sorry not to be of more help on that one!

Perth Western...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

Hi

Yes there are three pools. My logon photo is taken overlooking part of the new pool looking towards Thailand. :-) Gorgeous. I've had the same problems trying to compare prices for the all inclusive offer. I went to the resort early this year and only included breakfast( which was divine). For us that was fine because we wanted to try hawker food and other island restaurants but the all inclusive is tempting because their chefs are good and the 3 restaurants are so different. I'd be cauutious about upgrading when you get there. I've heard ( not just about Tanjung Rhu) that hotels do charge more for on the spot bookings. I'm keen to hear what advice is given here about how to get a competitively priced booking because I too would like to know. Enjoy your holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

Thanks for your replies - really helpful. Will continue to try and get a deal on the all inclusive here.

Am looking forward to sampling each of the pools!

Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

Why dont you book direct with hotel and your flight yourself without going trhough a travel agent. Sometimes it can work out cheaper. We did it this way. Check flight prices through a search engine like expedia or ebookers or airline and go from there. Definately opt for the all inclusive. Why not email the hotel direct and enquire the price of the upgrade if you prefer to use your agent.

Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

I Kuoni travel agents have an optional inclusive offer for Tanjung Rhu.

Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

Sorry that was meant to be KUONI. I have just checked it out en line and it is easy to see at a glance the cost of all inclusive and flights as well as a stop-over in Kuala Lumpur if you want a city break as well.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

Hi Shuzo

We booked through Sovereign (part of First Choice group) www.sovereign.com - and it worked out at £18 per person per night extra. We went Sept 2005.

Good luck!

Yorks, UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

Hi, been twice over past 12 months to this hotel only got back less than 2 weeks ago. 2005 there were 2 pools ie 60 metre plus lagoon pool. Recently built a new 50 metre pool as well so that will be the discrepancy you are reading. The 2 main pools are absolutely brilliant with I believe the new one having the slight edge because of the bar area is more like what we know as a bar whereas the other is not ie more food related

You can upgrade to all inclusive when there but no idea how much as we booked before. We think great value as you get 24 hour availability on literally anything other than alcohol. Think the deal at home is about £19/day per person?

When at the new bar area look out for Nickman (main guy) and his sidekick Henry. Mention the name Galvin and say hello for us.Best service ever. Missing the place already.

June you probably get some rain then as its just entering the time now when late afternoon rain starts to pop up. Take some music for your room as the ones on offer are in big demand or nip into Kuah and buy them for about £1.50 for DVD/CD

KJU
Western Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

A very competitive site for cheap accomodation is

pinganchorage.com.my/hotel_reservation.htm

Their prices were substantially cheaper than others.

I have booked KL and Penang accomodation with them

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanjung Rhu - All Inclusive & Pools

Hi Shuzo, being a local and the frequent guest of Tanjung Rhu (where I have a Jag at my disposal to drive around the island), though now, I prefer the peugeot convertible, though my wife hates the green colour.

Anyway, yes, it is confirmed that TR has three(3) nos of pools now- the sunset pool, sands pool and the lagoon pool (which someone mentioned has sand as the base--not many people use it because it is located in the property interior as you walk into the lobby).

The all inclusive option, i.e. all meals and non-alcoholic beverages at all restaurants and bars, inclusive of 24 hrs In-room dining, is popular for those who have made up their mind, not to eat elsewhere and is happy with the food quality and presentation in this resort.

If it is your first time, think about it. It precludes other special dinner arrangement,e.g. dinner on the beach or on a cruise ship, or a private barbeque diiner.

tanjung Rhu has four restaurants now(with the opening of the Sands--which is also the location of the new pool):-

The Rhu - Fusion seafood;

Sands- alfresco: local and western;

Saffron-Mediterranean; and

Reading Room- English tea

In the all inclusive option could be massage session and also non-motorised water sports equipment (yes, no jet ski in Tanjung Rhu--we want the tranquility).

As most of the time, I get my Bayu Senja room, which is a 80sq.m (around 860sq.ft) and facing the sea. Do check your room type and its size.

As someone suggested, why are you going through travel agents. Tanjung Rhu own website allows you to make an online booking.And making a call is also cheap these days.

It was just yesterday, my German friend called from Dresden, and was telling me it is just Euro 0.02/minute for the call.

Though as Malaysian (and for Singaporean) residents, we get some competitive rates. Well, in Malaysia, it is the Who you know that counts. it is the equation of Relationships-Logic-Law, whereas in Europe it is Law-Logic-Relationship. Furthermore, there have special return guest rates.

So, the all inclusive option may seems quite popular, but then again, I am sure as an individual, with your own preferences and travelling profile, what is popular may not suit you.

As someone also mentioned, with just the breakfast provided, you then have options to eat out and sample other local delights. Remember, hotel food caters for the guests (which are mostly westerners), and may lose some of its local taste.

You are best decision maker, though I was just on the phone with their KL office, yes, you can take the standard option, then upgrade (or switch to the all inclusive once you are there). You find find Malaysian are very flexible and we will accommodate your preferences.

Frankly, the difference between the standard and all inclusive is RM300.00,and let me give you an idea, a meal for two in a hotel, is usually around RM120.00. But breakfast is a cheaper affair--a breakfast bufett in a 5 star hotel in KL, is around RM80.00, so there is some margin for the hotel to play with the RM300.00, that's the reason, the all inclusive does not include alcoholic beverages.

So, weigh the pros and cons, if you need any further guidance/clarification, do let me know.

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi