We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas getaway - tips re overpricing?

London, UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas getaway - tips re overpricing?

My husband and I are returning to Langkawi over Christmas & New Year. We stayed at the Casa del Mar last time (reccommended) but are staying at the Datai this time as we are celebrating a birthday.

Whilst we are aware that this is the high season and it is more expensive to stay, will all the prices be hiked up?

Has anyone been at this time of the year and do we need to book restaurants as soon as we get there?

We want to hire a car and will probably do so from the airport, again do we need to pre-book?

Also we wish to go on day trips, sailing, snorkling, does the Datai charge very high prices in comparison with booking in Kuah?

Any seasonal tips gratefully received!

Oh, while I think of it, the trip to the Thai islands sounds good, does anyone know more about this?

Level Contributor
2,319 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas getaway - tips re overpricing?

We have always gone to Langkawi at Christmas so difficult to compare with other times of the year but I think it will only be the flights and hotel rooms that are more expensive, everything thing else will be the same. We have never booked anything in advance so you should be OK. It is not mega busy anywhere but I think Langkawi is getting more popular, especially with the Brits.

London, UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas getaway - tips re overpricing?

Thanks for replying, we have been away to the Caribbean at Xmas before and had to book everything!

Are you going this year?

I assume the weather will be good or should we expect a littel rain?

Level Contributor
2,319 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas getaway - tips re overpricing?

We have been to the Far East for the last 7 Christmas but unfortunately due to illness in the family we will not be going this Xmas, I would have probably gone back to Krabi in Thailand, weather a little more guaranteed. First time in Langkawi Dec/Jan, only rain for the first 2 days but last year the weather was great although it had been very wet in December, we arrived on 25th and things did change and we had nice sunshine for 2 weeks. Although our 4 days in KL at the end of the holiday were very wet.