We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

Hi Guys,

Any information on the comparison between the three?

Ta

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

Try the search engine above. Then get back to us for more specific info.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,758 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

Hi

It is like comparing an English fish and chips with a Thai red curry with somtam and apple pie with icecream - all nice but they are both very different. I don't think that there are any Phuket vs Langakwi vs Penang items in the searches. there is a comaparison on Phuket and Penang in the Penang forum, and on Malaysia and Thailand.

What do you want to compare? A better question would be, I normally visit xxx in xxx is there anything simlar in xxx.

Phuket has Patong, there is nothing to compare, it is unique.

Phuket has Karon and Kata, Batu Ferringhi could compare, but nothing to compare in Langakwi.

Langawki has Cenang, which perhaps compare to Bang Tao or Nai Yang on Phuket or perhaps Tanjung Bungah in Penang

Langakwi has the quieter and scenic nother and perhaps Phang Nga bay could compare, but there is the beaches of Cape Panwa, Mai Khao, but nothing in Penang.

Phuket Town and Georgetown in Penang are similar, nothing similar on Langkawi.

Phuket overall has more choice of resorts near bars / restaurants / shops than Penang or Langkawi, which both have very few beach resorts.

You won't find the night life in either Penang or Langakwi like you find in Patong, Phuket. There are a couple of clubs in Georgetown. Malaysian night life is pretty low key, and bed before midnight.

Shopping is more varied and has a larger choice in Phuket compared to Penang and Langakwi - IMO.

Phuket has more to see and do, IMO, and Langakwi is the place to go if you want not much to do at all.

Phuket has the nicer beaches and better water quality

If you are hoping to come to Langakwi or Penang and find a Phuket, then you won't. If you are hoping to go to Phuket to find a Penang or a Langakwi then you might if you pick the resort location correctly.

If you let us know what you want to compare and what you are looking for, then can help a bit more.

have fun!

Edited: 2:13 am, July 30, 2012
Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
153 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

Depends what you are after.You need to be specific as regards your taste.

Phuket and Penang are a lot busier than Langkawi.

If you just want to chill out- come to Langkawi.Two golf courses operating and a few bars,a restaurant every other building,and taxis everywhere !

If you want shopping/ bars/girls, or a brash nightlife ,then Phuket might be your scene.

Penang for shopping or exploring Georgetown ,temples,historic buildings etc ( Georgetown has it all ) or trying to chill out along Batu Ferringhi beach- just don,t get trampled to death by all the guys pestering you to buy something !

What is it you,re looking for ?

Edited: 2:19 am, July 30, 2012
Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

Hey guys, thanks for the great feedback. I have been to Patong a number of times and was looking at going somewhere warm yet different. We enjoy the busy atmoshere of Patong so I guess we are looking for something similar. Somewhere where you can chill out by the pool/beach during the day yet have a large choice in the evening so far as restaurant are concerned. Not too worried about the bars/nightclubs.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

Then, Joe, Penang is THE destination for you!!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
52 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

have been to phuket, penang and langkawi and i feel langkawi is the best place of the three. beautiful beaches, green and clean city

penang is more of a city, phuket and langkawi are similar but yes langkawi is less crowded. food is also available easily.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
153 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

I think you would find food is available "easily" in all 3 locations kss !

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,758 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

Joe if you << have been to Patong a number of times and was looking at going somewhere warm yet different. We enjoy the busy atmoshere of Patong so I guess we are looking for something similar. >> then only Patong will fit.

Batu Ferringhi and Georgetown on Penang are pretty laid back in comparision.

Whilst Langakwi is vitually morgue like in comparison.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

Seems there are mixes of choices. I have been to Phuket and Penang but haven't been to Langakwi so between Phuket and Penang whichever you select won't make you upset! Both are amazing destinations!

Gold Coast
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket Vs Langkawi Vs Penang

What about Koh samui instead?