We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

thinking of going for a round when we're there. I used to play golf when i was at school and last weekend played a round in Edinburgh as part of my stag doo. quite enjoyed it and didn't play too badly.

so, question is, would it be a waste of time for anyone less than a good amateur golfer, and would i get reduced rates for being a guest at the Andaman Hotel.

Cheers :o)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

It's a beautiful course you have just got to watch that the monkeys don't steal your balls if you're playing late in the afternoon :), honestly they were creating havoc along with the huge monitor lizard that was shredding one of the greens. I didn't play (too hot) but went for a look. I wouldn't say I was a good player but I'd have no problem having a game there, they were very welcoming and I'm sure they would love your business.

Staying at the Datai we did get reduced rates so I would think the Andaman would have the same deal.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

Dear Shoogly, some info on Datai Bay Golf Club.

Yardage :6501 ; par:72

Course range from undulating and flat to extremely hilly.

Your rates as guest of Andaman:

9 holes and buggy : RM225

18holes and buggy : RM325

They even provide golf shoes and golf clubs for rent.

Callaway set -RM150/session, whilst shoes:RM10/session.

But most golfers will bring their "equipment".

Besides Datai, there are two other golf course on Langkawi island- Gunung Raya Golf Resort (yardage: 6377), and Langkawi Golf Club(also 18- hole beachfront course).

Datai Bay against a scenic backdrop, gives a good invigorating exercise when teeing off in the early morning-first tee-off:0730hrs.

If you belong to a golf club in Scotland, check with your club, if they have affiliation, with Datai Bay for further reduced green fees.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

Hi played this course in feb, loveley course very scenic but very difficult. I play off of 11 handicap in spain and honestly i struggled to break 100, the problem i found was that it as set in the middle of a rain forest, so is completely surrounded by huge trees, i hit a fairly long ball from the tee but not always straight, hence there is hardly any rough so if you dont hit the fairway you are in the trees, if you go in the trees forget about looking for your ball people we spoke to had seen a cobra and a couple of vipers in the undergrowth. I would reccomend you play at gung raya golf resort(think thats how you spell it) it is about 45 mins drive from the andaman, i highly reccomend you hire a car, this golf course is open parkland at the foot of a mountain of the same name, also half the price of the datai. Hope this helps enjoy your golf and beautiful langkawi. Martyn.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

Hi Marcey

Are you able to hire clubs at the gung raya.

I have looked on the web sites but can only find the Datai who rents clubs.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

Hi hansie

yes you can hire clubs, shoes,golf carts ect i would say half the price of the datai.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

thanks for the top info marcey. will remember that. might just go for the 9 holes at the Datai instead of the full 18. I'm no where near as good as you, so i think frustration would kick in after a while. I like the idea of a nice chilled out game of golf in the jungle though. was the course busy when you played?

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

Hi shoogly

we played on a saturday the course was virtually empty only a few locals and tourists, i think 9 holes is a good idea because after 18 holes myself and my 2 playing partners all felt like throwing our clubs in the jungle and taking up horse riding or something?. Sure you will enjoy it really is a fantastic location.

Martyn.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

cool :o) thanks again. will let you know how i got on on our return to Scotland.

Isle of Lewis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

Hi Shoogly

I'm thinking of booking a holiday at the Andaman in October and was going to take the golf clubs. Would appreciate a posting when you get back.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: how hard is the golf course at the Datai?

no problem. i'll be posting a few reviews etc when i get back. don't think i'll be bothered to do anything else at work after i get back!

will keep you informed.

:o)

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi