We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Langkawi

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Langkawi

Hello, We are travelling to KL, Langkawi (Datai), Borneo (Tanjung Aru) and Singapore in May for honeymoon.. does anyone have any particular raves about things that we should definately see/ do in any of these places??

We are in the Datai for a week and want to hire a car.. can anyone recommend where to hire a car/jeep from? Can we do it from the UK before we go? We think a car may be best as the Datai is quite far out and we don't want to risk cabin fever (not that I think we would in such a fab looking place!)

Many thanks,

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Langkawi

Hello chablisgal,

A car rental is an excellent decision and to me a must have in Langkawi. Generally prices are cheaper when they are booked at the airport or pier. Since there are several places competing for your business they have to lower their prices. Prices at the airport or pier start at around RM 50 and a really decent car can be had for RM 80. This will include unlimited miles and insurance. (Always get the insurance in Malaysia). Also this will allow you to have the car right from the start of your vacation. There is no need to book ahead but you REALLY have to bargain hard on prices.

Langkawi is a fantastic island just to drive around. It’s very romantic, relaxed, has roads that circle the entire island, has little traffic, and lots of beautiful sights to see. It’s wonderful just to spend the day leisurely driving around. You would miss much of this by taking a cab everywhere. Besides the freedom to explore the island on your own the car acts like a locker. It gives you a place to store all your shopping so you don’t have to lug it around with you all day. You can store heavy cameras, swimsuits and towels, and many other hard to carry items. Otherwise you would be taking a taxi to and from the hotel with these items.

Places to go to:

Oriental Village, the cable car here is excellent. It offers amazing views of the entire island, ocean, and many surrounding islands. There are wonderful breezes at the top as well and its just a nice place to sit and take in the beauty. There are also a couple restaurants and stores at the bottom.

The Seven Wells waterfall is quite pretty as well.

You can stop at Pantai Kok and view the summer palace from the movie “Anna and the King” . Its touristy but cheap and you can walk through it.

The Galleria Perdana is an art gallery holding many gifts the former Prime Minister received. It also holds many things significant to Malaysia and can give you a little history.

Driving around Gunung Raya can be quite nice. There are families of monkeys everywhere many on or very close to the roads so keep an eye out. You will also pass rubber tree farms and other agricultural interests.

While circling the island you can stop at 6 or 7 beaches just to take in some sights.

There are also local style shopping bazaars here and there which are fun to stop at.

Kuah the main town is pretty neat and be sure and catch the nigh market there.

There is a lot more to do but the above list should get you started. Hope you have a great time.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Langkawi

We've just stayed at the Datai- a beautiful place (check out my photos and reviews)BonTon restaurant is a must for a romantic sunset and dinner.

We got a car at the airport, definately a must and better value. If you're a little worried about the haggling, here are a couple of suggestions. Deal with the counters set up in the arrival hall, over to the right before the exit. There are less of them to deal with and more reputable. Do as my husband did and told them all to "shush" while he made his decision. They were all trying to talk over each other. Unfortunatly you do want to give them all your business but in the end you'll be attracted to one particular person, the rest will leave you to it once you've made a decision.

The guy we choose was really good and we got a good deal (although we could have pushed for more discount we felt you just don't need to screw them into the ground, they have a hard time making a living as it is and as long as you are happy with the deal then what is the point!), and make sure you get airconditioning.

Watch out for scooters (they drive according to their own rules!) and wildlife.

Let me know if you would like our rental guys name, he was very helpful.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Langkawi

Thank you for that info. I will get husband to be to haggle on the cars and cancel the private transfers...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Langkawi

I'd like to know that rental car and guys name and if it's possible be more specific with the location because it seem there are too many of them

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
822 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire Langkawi

I could use that info too!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire Langkawi

Hayuelos & LA FadeAway- here's the info requested;

His name is Muhamad Yuzaidi, No22/28 Arrival Hall. Mobile 012-4730848.

We had a Nissan Sentara(A)and paid RM$70 per day which as I've said, we could have haggled harder for but were happy with.

Location;as you leave the arrival hall with your bags there are about 8-10 booths off to the right (for this excercise, ignore the ones on the other side)4-5 booths run horizontal with the back wall then they turn at a right angle and the other 4-5 run vertical to this wall. Muhamad was about the 3rd or 4th booth in the horizontal row. Am I making any sense?? I'm sure if you wrote his name down and called it out the others will point to him for you. They aren't that scary!

Of course don't you all use him at the same time otherwise the other guys won't get a look in and they do all seem nice people! :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
822 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire Langkawi

Thanks for the info Zappers!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire Langkawi

*said with an American twang*-You're welcome!

:0)