We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi v Penang

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Langkawi v Penang

Hi, I saw a short documentary on Langkawi this morning and it was mentioned that there is not a hell of a lot to do in Langkawi. I have booked to stay at Casa Del Mar for 6 nights and am now thinking that may be too long.

Do you think 4 nights in Langkawi and 2 nights in Penang might be a better option?

Thanks very much!

Mel :o)

Newtownabbey...
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi v Penang

Hi Mel - I think you will enjoy 6 nights in Langkawi - personally I think 6 years would be better! I guess it depends how much entertianment you like but the whole island is very laid back. I love Penang too but it feels very brash and noisy in comparison. As Langkawi is very small hiring a car is an easy option. My advice is to give the 6 nights a go - I think you'll just totally fall in love with the place. Have Fun!!

Julia :0)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi v Penang

Thanks Julia!

Where abouts did you stay?

:o)

Newtownabbey...
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi v Penang

We always stay at the Holiday Villa - not the poshest place but we love it - we have just returned from our 3rd stay there and I can't wait to go back next year. Food and drink are very cheap all over - no need to use hotel restaurants although they're ok too. Try the Cactus cafe opposite the Holiday villa for great cheap breakfasts and we love Tien Tien Lai restaurant by the Aseania hotel for dinner.

Auckland
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi v Penang

We are going to Langkawi for the first time - in about a week in fact. I figured that a day trip to Penang would be interesting. You can't catch a direct ferry there and back without having to stay the night, so we're going to catch a ferry to the mainland and then taxi to Penang and spend the day looking around.Hopefully get back with the last ferry.

Auckland
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi v Penang

We are going to Langkawi for the first time - in about a week in fact. I figured that a day trip to Penang would be interesting. You can't catch a direct ferry there and back without having to stay the night, so we're going to catch a ferry to the mainland and then taxi to Penang and spend the day looking around.Hopefully get back with the last ferry.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi v Penang

What a brilliant idea, thanks for that!! I would love to hear how your trip goes...

Have a blast!

:o)

Malaysia and...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi v Penang

no worries, you will not get bored in Langkawi, there are so many activities to do - you can rent a car or bike and go around the island (hot spa, cabel car, aqarium), or do island hopping. You can make a nice 1 day trip to Penang as well (I would recommend you the big Chinese Temple). And in worst case you can do island hopping to Thailand as well (most probably need a visa to Thailand).