We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

Mumbai
5 posts
Save Topic
Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

Hi..i understand that both berjaya and andaman are a bit isolated. I am biased towards andaman as i understand the beach is nicer and the hotel a wee bit more classier...now the only thing i wanted to understand is that if i rent a car for the 4 nughts i am staying is it a big issue if i am driving out of andaman each afternoon and night for food..i plan to do that both in andaman or berjaya whichever i decide to stay in...is that a bad plan? Also..how muchntime would it take for me drive up and down from andaman or berjaya to restaurants?

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

Hi

First of all, it depends on where you are planning on driving to as to how long it would take.

The nearest restaurants to the Andaman are at Telaga harbour, about 25 min drive, whereas from the Berjaya it will take around 5 mins.

Have fun

Mick

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

Hi

As Mick says, it depends where you are driving to, but from the Berjaya into Pantai Cenang, which is the main tourist area on the island, it will take around 20 minutes but from the Andaman it will take around 45 minutes.

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

and there is zero tolerance for drink-driving. if you want a beer, take a cab.

pam

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

Dear Pam,

I could tell you a lot of stories about drunken people here on the island and the amazing tolerance of the authorities here. Sure, I am on your side - don't drink and drive, but I NEVER seen the police stopping anyone for a routine control. Unless you make an accident (not even then unless you hurt somebody) there is a control for this matter.

Eva

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

you need to get out more eva! regular road blocks at night - but you don't like to drive at night, do you?

pam

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

Berjaya is a bit more conveniently located. I wouldn't worry about the 'class' factor though. It's quite a lovely resort. and the beach is fine - do check about jellyfish 'season' though.

Do be careful driving as the roads are narrow and squiggle around things. Major plus though...no traffic jams!!! Unless you go to Kuah...but even then...nothing like what most of us are used to!.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

although there are undeniably 'seasons' for sea-jellies in some countries - it has yet to be established that this is the case in langkawi. there does seem to be some correlation between tides and lunar cycles, but not seasons, per se.

therefor, you need to assume they will be there. berjaya has posted warnings and provided trained staff, vinegar stations and a netted swimming area.

pam

8. Re: Andaman or berjaya - driving down to restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, March 26, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi