We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pulau Payar

UK
Level Contributor
403 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Pulau Payar

We've been twice before, both times based on the large pontoon, with buffet lunch etc.

I've noticed a few people talking about going there, but not based on the pontoon. What is the price difference? And, for anyone who's done both, is the experience as good? Can you snorkel next to the pontoon, or is there a barrier to keep you out? Is the marine life as good outside this area?

Any drawbacks to doing it the cheaper way?

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pulau Payar

Hi

I've done this twice, both times with Langkawi Coral, the expensive version of the two. And I can't recommend it highly enough! You get a really good lunch as well and it's got a glass-bottomed boat that takes you out on trips. There's also a designated area where sharks swim and you can swim with them. As the boat pulls up to a fixed pontoon, there are literally thousands of fish who hang around it (make sure you grab some bread rolls from the lunch to feed the fish - it's amazing as they almost leap out of the water to eat it!) Hope this is useful!

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pulau Payar

Langkawi Coral and Coral Island are the two operators.

Coral Island is the cheaper of the two. Prices start at about RM 80 and I have never paid more than RM 120. It all depends on how busy they are and what time of year you go. They serve a very basic sack lunch. It includes rice, a cold piece of chicken, a hot dog (without bun), chicken nugget, and water. The boats they take arent bad. Fully air conditioned, has a couple T.V.s and nice chairs. There is a deck on top for riding in the wind as well. They have a snack bar on board ship where you can buy chips, water, and sodas. The provide you with full snorkel gear although its not as fancy as the other place.

The only drawbacks I see are the food and not having super nice looking gear. The gear is still fully functional though.

London, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pulau Payar

I've been looking around on the net and it seems the package offered by langkawi coral is pretty nice.

Though a lot more expensive than Coral island, you pay for what you get.

www.langkawicoral.com/

UK
Level Contributor
403 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pulau Payar

Thanks.

Whereabouts on Pulau Payar, are you based with Coral island? Do you get to swim in the same area as Langkawi coral, and if not, does the area have the same quality/quantity of marine life?

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pulau Payar

If you have been then you likely have seen it. They just go to the wooden pier on the island. You can see the pier from the floating platform and vice versa.

Finland
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pulau Payar

We went to Pulau Payar with East Marine. Sounds pretty much the same as the Coral island: ferry to the wooden pier, basic sack lunches and snorkeling gear. The turbo engine of the ferry we took just blasted on the way there, and we were 30 min late. Didn´t get to spend more time in the afternoon, so we were a bit dissapointed. It was 160 MYR.