We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Langkawi, hopefully no faux pas!

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First visit to Langkawi, hopefully no faux pas!

Hi everyone, I'm getting Married at the Tanjung Rhu in April and we can't wait!! Just a few questions!

Did anyone take Malaria tablets (as we want to do the Mangrove tour)?

Are ladies allowed to wear spagehtti strap tops and knee legnth skirts(I'm to old for micro minis) in tourist areas?

What mossie protector does one wear (deat required I've been told)?

What is the dress code for the Rhu's resturant shirt/tie/no jeans?

Last not least how easy is it to hire car or request a taxi without going through the hotel?

Many Thanks

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Langkawi, hopefully no faux pas!

Hi,

Congrats on the wedding.

There is no Malaria in Langkawi.

Spaghetti strap tops and skirts are fine in Langkawi. Many non Muslim locals will wear the same. They don’t expect tourists to be too conservative unless visiting a mosque etc.

Any spray with “deet” works great. Also I heard that Avon makes a great one the ladies like, not sure of the name.

The TR restaurant is resort casual to nice. I have seen men with Khaki pants and short sleeve button up shirts for dinner and women in cool summery dresses.

It is VERY easy to high a car without the hotels help. It is also highly recommended as it helps you get the most out of Langkawi as it is very cheap. The cheapest rates are around RM 50 per day and you can get a really decent car for RM 80. The island is a joy to self drive and very romantic. There are wonderful places to stop and see the views or wildlife. It also gives you a place to store shopping, handbags, or anything you want to keep safe but don’t want to lug around town.

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Langkawi, hopefully no faux pas!

Forgot to say:

Hire a car as soon as you arrive at the airport. They also have several rental companies at the Kuah pier if you are arriving by land. It is very easy to do. There will be many people at the exit doors trying to sell you one. Like most things in Malaysia you have to bargain for the best price.

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Langkawi, hopefully no faux pas!

Many Thanks new22003.

This is a great help.

Hong Kong
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Langkawi, hopefully no faux pas!

Hi, I'm also getting married in Tanjung Rhu in May! Can't wait! How is your planning going, when's the big day?

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Langkawi, hopefully no faux pas!

Hi Collipa,

Were getting married in April, plans are going well although we feel a little anxious to get all relevant forms legalised by our Foriegn and Commonwealth Office, allowing no more than three months before the wedding (As the Malaysian Registry Office does not accept anything out of this period) So February was a busy month ensuring that all docs were in order! I'm breaking in my satin wedding shoes as I sit here typing, why does satin not give like leather?

The wedding co-ordinator at the Tanjung Rhu has been extremley helpful, despite the distance and time diffrence!!

Good luck for May.

Hong Kong
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Langkawi, hopefully no faux pas!

I'd love to chat about our weddings - I've just received the menu options and would love to know what you're having. Please email me at paula969696 @ hotmail.com