We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi report

Sweden
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi report

Came back from Langkawi some days ago and are already longing to go back!

I would like to share my experiences with others:

Resorts:Langkawi Village Resort - a very nice place to stay at. Good beach, nice staff and rooms a bit tired but ok. New owner is going to make some of the rooms a bit bigger and new bathrooms goes for all bungalows and it will be done during 2006-2007. Behind the resort they are going to build apartments for people who wants to stay longer, 7-8 floors, ready 2007-2008.

Pantai Tengah nicer than Cenang as Cenang was too crowded and noicy, especially during Chinese New Year - avoing going during that period if you can.

Thing to do and not to do:

Underwater World - not much to se, if you been to Sentosa in Singapore this is a big dissapointment. Only cost 38RM so if there is nothing to do, well then go but time can be spent on other things.

Cable Car - a must!! Wonderful view.Make sure that they are open as a couple at our hotel went in the morning only to find it was closed due to much wind.

Pulau Payar marine park - to be able to toutch sharks is cool, and to snorkle with them! The water is ok - not as good as in Thailand but visability is about 3-4 meters.

We went with Coral Island. Noicy boat,very turistic, food not good and we had our own snorkling-gears so we had´nt the problem with finding the right fin....Payed 520RM for 4 adults and 1 child so do not pay moore! Langkawi Coral is about 100RM more per adult. They have better food(I have heard) and a nice boat and even other place to snorkle at. Do not know if they are that much better.

It´s a nice place to go so I recomend it.

Island hopping - rented our own boat 220RM for about 4 hours.Took the boat from our beach and returned there, instead of going with car or bus to a pickup point. Boat can be hired along the beach. Went to Island of pregnant Maiden and had a swim in the freshwater lake (unfortunately there were a lot of chinese people, sorry anyone who is being offended, but they were everywere), then to se eaglefeeding (nothing much - can be missed if youre not into big birds because not many of them were actually eagles). After that to an island with coral reefs. Beautiful beach but unfortunately no visability(too bad that people leave their garbage on the beach though).

Nice trip to se something else.

Seven Wells Waterfall - not much water as it was dry season but nice to cool off after the walk. Monkeys on the way. Good place to buy batiksarongs and batikshirts - prices better than around Tengah/Cenang area. Ofcourse bargain is a must.

Renting car/taxi - rented a taxi and driver for 90RM for the first 3 hours and 25RM an hour(big car 4 adults 1 child, 20Rm an hour for a car). They have printed lists over the prices so it feels good. Good to make up a price for a daytrip as our trip lasted 12 hours and it cost us 290RM - more than we expected. We went around the island.

Shopping - clothes in Kuah, especially brands like Billabong, Bodyglove is cheap. Shops selling masks and decorations - wood bowls and plates can also be found in Tengah area. A lot of them in Kuah, selling very nice things.Be sure to have room in the suitcase. Do not bring much as shirts, shorts, dresses and the clothes you need is being sold at low prices.

Food - lovely food, do not expect to loose weight - I gained 2 kilos in 12 days!

Langkawi Village Resort- had lunches at the poolbar, hamburgers, sallads, satay and pitabread with fillings. Also tried the BBQ buffe with a lot of food, 50RM/adult and 25/child, good alternative.

Lighthouse - western, malay, resonable prices good food and lays on the beach close to Village Resort(V R).

Oasis - north indian, western good prices good food and also on the beach with walking distance from V R.

LÓsteria - italian, new restaurant close to V R with good pizzas and pasta.

SunSutra - Just opened, have to visit their bar and toilets and the food is so good.Nice interior and friendly staff. Meat with mashed potatoes, pasta and nachos. Between Holliday Villa and V R.

Bom Bom Corner - pakistan, indian food really cheap and spicy. Unfortunately too spicy for our son. Their fruitdrinks are so good!

Fat Mum´s -chinese,(neighbor to SunSutra) a bit dissaponted as the food wheren´t as good as:

Boat Resturant - chinese with good and spicy Tom Yam soup, pepper beef for example. Close to Holliday Villa.

Bon Ton - lovely sunset and good food.Close to the airport. More expensive but still very nice enviroment. 68RM for a big piece of meat, 66RM for 9 small dishes of lokal food so prices higher but still ok for us from Sweden at least.

Food in Kuah - tried a local place in Kuah with buffe but no names on the dishes. Difficult for us to know what was in it but very interesting to try and not know that the taste would be. Hmm strange, but ok most of it. 5 plates with 5 soft drinks cost 16.70RM - the cheapest we had!

Well, we had a great time and I would like to go back. The only minus is the water - the sea. No visibility and they say it is so due to sand in the water and currents.

The people is really friendly and not pushing and selling you things all the time(comparing to places I have been to in Thailand and Turkey)

My parents had heard that they were rude and not friendly in Malaysia compared to Thailand and that is soo untrue!

During the 12 days we spent on the island, it rained for 10 minutes and we had sun (with clouds just some of the days )

I can truly recomend the island , especially for the friendly people, wonderful food and

nice beaches (Tanjung Ru, north close to Mangrove area, is beautiful)

Can go on about this trip but I think I put out the main things I liked/disliked.

For you who are going - have a nice holliday - I am sure you will!

Maria

Mentioned in this post
Pantai Tengah
Pantai Tengah
Langkawi, Malaysia
Underwater World Langkawi
2,069 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Langkawi Coral
Langkawi Coral
130 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Kuah
Kuah
Langkawi, Malaysia
SUNSUTRA
SUNSUTRA
23 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Fat Mum
Fat Mum
148 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi report

Superb review Marabou. Can you tell me if you went to the coco jam pub at Langkawi Village Resort? Were they busy? Again thank you for posting such a complete review.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi report

Thank you soooo much for the report. We will be stopping over on Langkawi for two nights on our way to Thailand. What would you consider to be the "must sees" in that short time, while still having some R&R? We're staying at Casa del Mar. So far, we were thinking of renting a car and doing the cable car and maybe a visit to Tanjung Ru. You said it took 12 hours to circle the island??? Is that with lots of stops and site seeing or is it just that big?!

Mentioned in this post
Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi report

Dont worry the island can easily be circled in an hour.

Sweden
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi report

First - Coco Jam Club at Langkawi Village Resort. They played music at the poolbar and monday to saturday they had a live band playing in the evenings - nice music- more of "sitting and listening" music. No Coco Jam Club.... At their homepage it still says they have Coco Jam Club but they need to put in new pictures as they have rebuilt the place and change the texts as for example Coco Jam Club is not working....

For must sees: Cable car, definetly.It takes about 1 to 1,5 hours to go up and look around at the platforms and the bridge.

Rent a car - I do not agree that you can go around it in 1 hour, then you have to drive really fast and they do not do that on the island.

We stopped at Art Batik Village, Oriental Village, Seven Wells Waterfall, (did not the Cable Car as it was too crowded, took that another day), Black Sand Beach,stopped to look at the rubber coming from rubber trees, Tanjung Ru the beach then to Kuah for shopping and back home.At some of the places we stopped for a long time as we took a bath, we ate something or shopped. We were 5 of us so that takes time.

As you do not have much time I think Cable Car and drive around the island is to be my choise.Look at the things you´re interested in and take a long stop at Tanjung Ru for a swim.

Have a nice time!

Mentioned in this post
Oriental Village
Oriental Village
565 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Black Sand Beach
Black Sand Beach
331 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Kuah
Kuah
Langkawi, Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi report

hi maria,

thanks for the honest and long report.

have not been to langkawi for abour 6 years but reading your report has made me think about another visit.

will probably fly in from kl as i found the 2 hour ferry trip from penang about 1.5 hour too long...lol.

Sweden
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi report

Hi again!

As it is a new owner for the Langkawi Village Resort the name is changing to:

The Frangipani Langkawi Resort& Spa - could be good to know....

As for the Coco Jam Club (again) I read a review about it but I must have missed the club! A club for me is a place were you can dance and listen to loud music...... well they played some nice live music at the poolbar but was that Coco Jam?....

We went to Reagge Bar, close to Underwater World - great music!

Mentioned in this post
2,069 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi report

Marabou, thanks again for all the tips!

uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Langkawi report

We have made a reservation through Asia rooms for the Langkawi Beach Resort for May this year. I am a little worried that our reservation may not be valid now the hotel has been taken over by a new management. I have e-mailed the hotel for confirmation, but I have not yet had a reply. Has any one else had trouble with their bookings?

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Langkawi report

Hello mrstwonk,

First of all want to make sure its the same resort. You called it Langkawi Beach Resort, its most likely a typo but several resorts follow thier name with "Langkawi Beach Resort". Wanted to make sure we are on the same page.

Secondly Malaysian resorts and hotels are notoriously slow to update web sites and respond to emails, if they ever respond at all. Its often best to just call and confirm. A cheap international calling card can be bought at many grocery stores.

Phone Number for Langkawi Village Resort 6049551511

Toronto
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Langkawi report

Marabou, do you think that you should be more privileged or that you have more of a right to be a tourist no matter where you go in the world, just because you're european?