We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beaches

3 posts
Save Topic
Best Beaches

Hi

We are a couple travelling to Langkawi for the first time next month. Can anyone recommend a hotel resort similar to the Taj-Rebak Island resort (Quiet, peaceful, beautiful beach, good internet access). We loved the location and the private beach and the price of the Taj but then noticed that (noisy) renovations will coincide with our visit.

Many thanks

Mina

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,959 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beaches

Hi

Try looking at The Datai, Andaman, Tanjung Rhu, Berjaya, The Danna and if you really want to splash out Four Seasons. All these hotels are in lovely settings with nice beaches and are quiet. Cannot comment on the internet access though.

Lesley

Mentioned in this post
Datai
Datai
Langkawi, Malaysia
Tanjung Rhu Resort
Tanjung Rhu Resort
1,491 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia
Berjaya Langkawi Resort...
5,332 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
The Danna Langkawi
The Danna Langkawi
3,633 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beaches

Thanks Lesley

I fancied the Berjaya but was put off by some of the negative comments of bed bugs and dirty bathrooms.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
5,332 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,959 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beaches

Hi

I have stayed at Berjaya 11 times and have never ever heard about bed bugs or experienced dirty bathrooms. Where did you get this information from??

Lesley

Mentioned in this post
5,332 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beaches

One of the hotel booking websites - said 4 out of 5 reviewers said bathroom was unclean or poor condition. I guess you can't please everyone. I supposed it depends on the price and type of chalet.

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beaches

Hi

While it is true that some of the rooms at the Berjaya are a little dated you should still expect your room to be clean,

From what others are saying it would seem that a number of hotels are suffering from a similar problem which is probably why the Taj is undergoing refurbishments!

Have fun

Mick

Mentioned in this post
5,332 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beaches

i have not heard of bed bugs at the berjaya. if you google it; you get one review on trip advisor from 4 years ago with the title 'bed bugs at berjaya?' note the question mark...

when you read it; it is not about bed bugs, which are a specific creature, but about insects in the rooms, such as ants, which happens everywhere in the tropics. insecticide spray and a mosquito plug-in are provided in every room.

as with all things; you get what you pay for. do not book superior or delux rooms [which are the cheapest] if you want a new bathroom.

the rooms with new bathroom are rainforest chalet [shower only] and rainforest studio [full bath + walk-in shower].

as is normal in s.e.asia, the lowest cost rooms are confusingly named 'superior'. in my experience, this lead to a false sense of entitlement... if you want the better rooms, you need to pay more.

pam

Langkawi
Level Contributor
868 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beaches

Mina, I hate to burst your bubble but Tripadvisor is full of fake reviews besides reviews by psychotic tourists. Anyone can sign up and post a review, which means any disgruntled former employees of a particular business can post a nasty review just to sabotage the business. Someone could also be paid to post up a glowing review.

Whenever you see something way too negative or too positive, click on the member's name and check their profile. Legitimate posters will have posted many reviews. Reading those reviews will tell you a lot about the reviewer's personality.

Patrick

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
267 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beaches

For me, the best beach was that at the Berjaya.

Around the island there are many public beaches but alas, most of them are not fit to spend the day on due to litter. Litter is a big problem (in my opinion) on the beaches in Langkawi. Its a shame because some of the locations could be stunning.

Mentioned in this post
5,332 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beaches

Dear Mina,

as you are looking for a quite beach check out which one of the resorts have water-sports. As much as I know it is only the following resorts without those horrible water toys:

Datai, Andaman (both are on a gorgeous beach, next to each other and top-choice)

Tanjung Rhu, Tanjung Sanctuary and Four Seasons.

Is my list correct, friend Patrick?

Eva

Mentioned in this post
Datai
Datai
Langkawi, Malaysia
Tanjung Rhu Resort
Tanjung Rhu Resort
1,491 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beaches

This is the problem with reviews, just because several people here like the Berjaya (I did too), doesn't mean everyone has too. We all have different tastes after all. To say someone's review is right or wrong is not for us to say. Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether you agree or not.

I've been looking for hotels recently and looking at reviews. People seem to remember the bad ones and forget the good ones.

You have to also think about what value for money you get? £50 a night might be a lot of money to some people and a bargain to others. People have different expectations about price, facilities and cleanliness.

As already mentioned, some reviews are only a couple of lines. Those that are a bit longer with information are usually the ones to consider and see what else someone has posted. Some people will only ever post once. I recall seeing someone's review about a different hotel, and they were robbed in the street. They gave their hotel a 1 out of 5 yet it was nothing to do with the hotel. People sometimes review their holiday rather than the hotel.

All reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt, whether awful or glowing.

Mentioned in this post
5,332 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia