We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best island in malaysia

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best island in malaysia

hi was wondering if any1 could please help me. i will be travelling to malaysia in feb on honeymoon and was wondering what the best island is to visit and the resort there, as well as how the island is after the tsunami..thank a lot

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best island in malaysia

Depending on what youre looking for there are a number of options. Beach, rainforest, city and activities v. relaxation.

For a honeymoon, most likely either Pangkor Laut or Langkawi are the best bet for island paradises. Pangkor Laut resort is an island resort to itself, but not that easy to get to. Plenty of activities and various options for rooms and bungalows. The spa and activities are well rated but the beaches are quite ordinary. It has received some mixed reviews of late.

On Langkawi (farther north and a short hop by plane from KL), the Datai and Tanjung Rhu are the resorts of choice. The Datai is in a rainforest (beach nearby) and is a larger facility. The Tanjung Rhu has the best beach and may be better for just pure relaxation. My bet for a romantic get-away for the best price would be the Tanjung Rhu. There are lots of activities to do in both resorts and there is actually a local population, towns and shops on Langkawi while there is little outside the resort on Pangkor Laut. LOTS of info on the web regarding these locations.

The disaster didnt touch Pangkor Laut and while some damage occurred on Langkawi, it was light and neither of the resorts I mentioned was effected.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best island in malaysia

thanks so much frank will definately check it out...can you please tell me if there is a city on langkawi and is there any shopping?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best island in malaysia

Kuah is the main town and there is some shopping. There is a duty free shopping center there that gets a lot of press but really isnt much at all if youre used to good shopping.

There are also a few smaller towns, local markets with handicrafts and other sights to see. As I said, Langkawi is more of a sleepy place than, for instance, Penang Island just to the south that has much more to do and see but far less privacy, unspoiled nature and good beaches. You can arrange a rental car through the resort, which comes complete with packed lunch, drinks and picnic blanket. If you want immensely better shopping, fly to Langkawi through KL and spend a few hours at the KLCC in the petronas towers. Literally the best shopping for the price anywhere in the world.

Have fun!

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
62 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best island in malaysia

This really depends on what you prefer, but here are some thoughts....

The tsunamis do not seem to have caused much damage in Malaysia.

Penang is an island on the West coast, which has a lot to do... you can climb Penang Hill through the jungle, visit lots of temples, tons of shopping, etc. We actually had our wedding at the Mutiara Beach Resort and it was fantastic! That hotel is a bit isolated, so you can lounge around at the hotel pool or if you're in the mood to do more, you can grab a taxi into town (30-45mins ride).

If crystal clear water is more important to you, than culture, I would recommend the EAST coast of Malaysia--the water there is much better than the water in Penang or Langkawi.

The most clear water in Malaysia that I have seen is at Pulau Perhentian and Tioman.

Pulau Perhentian is a National Park and accordingly the water and snorkelling is great. During the right season (can't remember when it is), the giant leatherback turtles lay their eggs right on the beach there! There wasn't alot of night life or much to do there though... not the place to go if you're looking for nightlife.

Tioman also has gorgeous water and snorkelling. They were really developing it the last time I was there, so it probably has more to do by now, such as different restaurants to choose from.

Just as a side note, we honeymooned in Koh Samui, Thailand which is on the East cost and was not at all impacted by the tsunami. It was great there.

Hope this info was helpful. Good-luck and congrats!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best island in malaysia

thanks travelfever your info was most helpful...we were initially booked for phuket and koh sumai, but the travel agent says it is best to avoid thailand right now for a while..so that why we thought of malaysia..we basically want a island like phuket, stunning beaches but at the same time a night life where we could choose from resturants to eat. dont really know that much about malaysia except for KL. so please recommend the best place to go to.../thanks again

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
62 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best island in malaysia

Koh Samui is still a very good choice--I don't think they've had any impact from the tsunami and they have what you're looking for... great beaches and nightlife. We stayed in a terrific bunglow on the beach at the Pavillion and loved it. Its on the end of Lamai beach, which has shops and lots of restaurants. We rented a jeep one day and drove around the island and even did some hiking. We never needed a taxi or car again--except when we took a tuk-tuk (taxi) to watch a kickboxing match. Chaweng beach is the other main beach there. I heard the Pavillion was renovated a couple years ago, so not sure exactly what it looks like now.

If you want to stick to Malaysia, maybe you can mix your destinations? Penang has a lot of fun things to do (we actually got married on Penang and honeymooned in Koh Samui), and as long as your hotel has a nice pool, it can be fun. Then go to Tioman or Pulau Perhentian to enjoy a more beautiful beach.

Good-luck!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best island in malaysia

thanks so much once again for your advice and sorry to keep asking silly questions just that i do not know much about malaysia know more about thailand and wana be sure we will be going to the best place....do you possibly know anything about langkawi?and is it better than penang cos we were thinking of staying at the sheraton perada there..please advise thank you sooo much once again

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best island in malaysia

Penang and Langkawi are both wonderful but quite different depending on what youre looking for.

Langkawi is majority Malay while Penang has more Chinese. People tend to say that the variety of food is better on Penang. Penang is larger and therefore has a larger main city which has local as well as colonial influences. Because if its size, Penang has more "stuff" to do and see such as temples, a butterfly farm, museums, restaurants etc, but also more crowds. You can also reach Penang via bridge and the drive from KL is actually a very nice way to see the countryside. I visited Penang first and loved it and was then told that if I liked Penang, I would love Langkawi...true again.

Langkawi is more isolated, smaller and has far less to see but has the better resorts, many of which are secluded into their own complexes. This is not to say that Penang resorts are not good, the ones on Langkawi are just better. Its apples and oranges. I would say for a honeymoon, I would lean towards Langkawi and save Penang for when you have kids or if you want to cram more into the trip than romance.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best island in malaysia

thanks so much frank have you stayed at the andaman in langkawi at all?or could you suggest another 5star resort

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best island in malaysia

I have not stayed at the Andaman but have heard good things about it. It is the slightly less posh sister resort to the Datai. The Datai definitely gets the most press on being the best on the Island (and indeed competes with Pangkor Laut in the press for being best in Malaysia) and is the most expensive on Langkawi. Most of the Datai is actually in the jungle rather than on the beach and the beach there is only average. The nature feel is spectacular so this counterbalances the ordinary beach for many people. The service and spa are impeccable.

The Tanjung Rhu has the best beach on the island and penny for penny is my bet for the best on the island as a resort. terrific food, pool, spa and service but it is isolated on one tip of the island which is either a plus or minus depending on your nature. The Casa del Mar is also very good and has less than 30 rooms. Right on the beach and great food. A terrific small place if you want to get away from it all.

Four Seasons is opening a resort on Langkawi but not by the time youre going to arrive (I believe).

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi