We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to singapore from KL

london, uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to singapore from KL

I am planning on going to singapore for a few nights from KL, can anyone tell me the cheapest but fastest way of doing so. I know u can fly there and malaysian airlines have stand by tickets anybody know how much these cost? and could i get a stand by return - cos i dont want to pay S$ for a single on the way back. oh yes will i get harassed by malaysian customs for any goods i get from singapore.

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to singapore from KL

Hello Steve,

There are a few different options.

Bus Directly to Singapore

Train Directly to Singapore

Air Asia to JB Then A Taxi or Bus to Singapore

Malaysia Airlines directly to Singapore

Singapore Airlines (via SilkAir) Direct to Singapore

You can take a bus from the Pudaraya bus station to Singapore for under RM 50 per person one way. This does take a very long time though.

Taking the train can be fun but again it does take a long time. It is more comfortable than the bus and I recommend getting the better seats if on the day train. The cheap seats are hard plastic but only cost RM 23. The best seats are nicely padded and cost RM 68 per person one way. The night train is a bit different than the day one, you can get a private room for RM78 standard or RM 110 deluxe. The train has a dining car and washroom facilities so the trip isn’t bad at all. If you get a private room you can really relax.

Air Asia is always a cheap option and it’s faster than the bus or train but they don’t fly directly to Singapore. I just priced a round trip flight from KL to JB and the cost was only RM 161.98 per person. A taxi into runs around Singapore 50 or less. You can often find others who are willing to split this cost with you. You can also catch a bus for much less than that.

Malaysia Airlines is great but it is a more expensive option. Most of the time a round trip flight to Singapore will run around RM 500 or so. The one I just priced was RM 697 round trip per person.

Singapore Airlines is another expensive but good option. They often cost more than MAS and the trip I just priced ran RM 900. Of course this and the Malaysia Airlines options are the fastest but they are much more expensive. There are sales on the fares of course but this is a good representation of standard pricing.

I have made numerous trips into Singapore across the bridge and I would say that customs checks your bags about half the time. The car you are riding in will stop and they will ask the driver to open the trunk. They will usually open at least one bag if you are stopped.

Good luck.

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
617 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to singapore from KL

I have done this a few times by bus. Going from Puduraya Bus Terminal on a VIP bus is cheaper but sometimes a hassle. I have even been on a bus that stopped for a tire change (an extra hour travel time) without a word to the passengers. A better choice is www.aeroline.com.my they are a little bit more expensive but offer a great service. It goes directly from downtown to downtown in a very professional and comfortable manor. I would highly recommend it. Flying is OK but once you figure in the extra cost and time needed to go to and from the airports the bus makes more sense.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to singapore from KL

I totally agree with Moon. Busticket is so much cheaper than air. Time needed is almost the same....to me.

To take a bus from KL to Sin, takes around 5 hours, including stopover for snacks and washroom. Of course it varies depending on traffic at JB-Sin custom.

Go by air, flight around an hour. From KL town to airport, 1/2 hour. Check in 2hours before departure. From Singapore Changi airport to downtown, by MRT, takes around 1/2 hour. This does not include luggage claimming time.

Personnaly, i'd prefer bus trip as there are much more to see.

Malaysia custom will be quite fussy on electronic goods from Singapore. If buying any e-goods, try not to bring them back to M'sia in a nicely pack boxes. Split them up. Example: Buying a camera from Singapore, put in the battery and keep that in your pocket or waist pouch. Put the warranty and instruction booklet elsewhere, side pocket of your luggage maybe. If not neccessary, try not to bring back the packaging box.

This apply to shoes as well.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to singapore from KL

we've gone to singapore by luxury bus and feel this is cheap and fast. fare on luxury bus like aeroline or NICE costs about RM$65(? not quite sure as we went in dec 04). there are many other companies around for a cheaper fare. you can buy a return ticket from KL and pay in malaysian ringgit. if you calculate the time(and cost - min. RM$35) to get from kl to the airport, check-in time, flight time, check-out time and then time (and cost) from changi airport to your hotel.........time is the same as bus travel. cost of air travel is definitely more than by bus.

i agree about coming through at the causeway from singapore with electronic goods.... pack the items inside your bags/not original boxes. perhaps the items will be just as cheap in KL?

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to singapore from KL

Steve,

The best bet is the train if you are not in a rush, they are very clean and comfortable in Malaysia, not like here in the UK. At some stations guy's selling food will get on, depending on your train. Its good food, and cheap to.

I did this from Singapore to Butterworth about two years ago and really enjoyed the journey, I'll do it again next year, you don't arrive all speedy like you do from an aircraft, but relaxed and happy.

new20033 advice is excellent.

london, uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to singapore from KL

Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful - think i will go by luxury bus and unpack those e-goods - prob only get a camera and an ipod which i wil carry on my person anyway.