We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking £ into malaysia

London UK
9 posts
Save Topic
Taking £ into malaysia

Somebody recently told me that you can't take more than £150 in cash to Malaysia...is this true?

Presumably you can get access to cashpoints at the airport in Langkawi to draw out currency?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking £ into malaysia

That's not true.

When Malaysia had its currency pegged to the US dollar, the currency rules stipulate that if you are taking more than the equivalent of RM10,000 (about £1,500) into Malaysia, then you would require the Central Bank's prior written approval.

For values below that, you need to declare the amount on a form (usually given on board the plane) which you will need to pass to the customs officer. Any amounts below the equivalent of RM 1,000 (ie. £150) there's no need to declare.

A few months ago, Malaysia moved to a floating peg but there was no mention of whether the currency declarations would still be required. My guess is perhaps that is still status quo.

Hope the above helps.

London UK
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking £ into malaysia

so is it easier to use ATM's when on Langkawi.....or should be take travellers cheques?

I would prefer to take cash in £ but this seems to be a bit complicated.

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking £ into malaysia

At current forex, £150 approx to RM1000.

"A resident and a non-resident is permitted to carry into and out of Malaysia, RINGGIT NOTES (emphasis mine) not exceeding RM1,000 per person."

"There is no limit on the amount of foreign currency notes and traveller’s cheques carried into Malaysia" but you are not permitted to take out more than the amount you came in with.

So if you carry credit cards and GBP you'll be fine.

Windsor and...
Level Contributor
363 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking £ into malaysia

We are going to Langkawi tomorrow and we are taking 1300 RM and 1000 GBP in cash. I think (and hope) that they have no restrictions on pounds or dollars.

London UK
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking £ into malaysia

ah ok well if we can take £ in cash then thats a lot easier.

cheers

Wrexham, Wales
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking £ into malaysia

We've just returned from our Honeymoon in Malaysia - KL and Langkawi. We made the mistake of getting our Sterling changed into US Dollar Travellars Cheques before we left the UK. The exchange rate in KL from dollars into RM meant that we lost out. Just take a small amount of RM to tide you over the first day you get there, and take everything else in Sterling cash. We'll definately do that next time we go.

Oh and as usual with many places, go to a money changer (plenty in the shopping malls - we used one in the mall beneath the twin towers in KL) as they offer better rates compared to the hotel (we got around 6.7 ish RM to the Pound)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking £ into malaysia

Just got back and the allowance is RM1000.

I had RM7000 in cash and no-one said a word and I even declared this at customs.

The exchange rates didn't seem much different from the UK.

Get a safety deposit box and just take out what you think you will need for a couple of days or so, I did.

Okehampton, Devon
Level Contributor
64 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking £ into malaysia

hi. wouldnt worry aboout money probs! we didnt take any cash at all, just use the ATM's at the airport and around town. usually get a pretty good rate too. no worries about converting etc. hope this is of help. charlie