We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of food at the Andaman hotel

London
2 posts
Save Topic
cost of food at the Andaman hotel

Has anyone been to the Andaman hotel? I was going to book it for next feb, but wondered how much meals are there - particularly breakfast. I've read a few things saying its expensive but I wondered what the average cost is. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

UK
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of food at the Andaman hotel

Hi mrjonny,

I'm going to The Andaman in Feb too and had the same worries. I didn't book through the hotel directly but did email them for prices and they also very kindly sent me their menus with prices. Breakfast is RM85 which at the time of working it out was about 13GBP.

I also have a full set of menus if you would like me to email them.

Out of interest, the cheapest rates I found for the room was 105GBP through a company called Somak. The hotel offered me a rate of RM850 which was reduced from RM1000 but that worked out at approx. 130GBP.

Hope this helps.

London
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of food at the Andaman hotel

If you could mail me the menus that would be great. my email address is jonathanmew at yahoo.co.uk - the at is an @ - just didn't want to write out the whole addess incase I get loads of spam.

Do you have any ideas of the prices of drinks as well?

Many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of food at the Andaman hotel

Hi Jonny,

I've sent you an email with the menus. I've no idea about the prices of drinks though, if anyone can help then please post a response.

Adrian

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of food at the Andaman hotel

Hello guy's,

The prices for drinks at The Andaman are about the same as you'd expect in a London pub, problem is you'll only order half a beer at a time, it gets to warm. Thats works out at 4 quid a pint.

A nice bottle of wine will set you back about 7 pounds upwards at the Japanese Restuarant or The Gulai House, they have a great stock of Aussie wines. Stock your own minibar at the local shops.

You'll love The Andaman though and don't forget that Langkawi is duty free, bottle of spirits will cost a fiver at the supermarket.

Wrexham, Wales
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of food at the Andaman hotel

Just arrived home yesterday after spending last 8 nights at Andaman. As you'd expect from a top end hotel, the prices are expensive - but only if you compare them to drinks and food NOT from the hotel in Malaysia.

This is something surely typical of any high-end hotel in any destination in the world.

We did our fair share of hawker stalls etc in KL and singapore, so for our stay at The Andaman we didn't really have to watch our budget because we pretty much had most of it left. We pre-payed for our breakfast there before we went, which cost us £11 each per day. The breakfast was buffet style and amazing quality. You could eat as much as you wanted, and you could choose from traditional Malay, Japanese, to omelettes and sausages and pastries and fruit etc.

We ate every night at the hotel, and also had several cocktails a night plus lunch there everyday (choose the Laksa from the beach bar - if you like spicy food it's awesome).

For the 9 days/8 nights our food, drink, minibar, excursion (we did a jungle trek, mangrove tour and Scuba Diving at Pulau Payer) and gift bill (there's a gift shop on site) came to just over RM5000, which is about £800. That even included on our last night a special romantic dinner at the Gulai house Kampung style (sitting on the floor) in their new annex, with a bottle of Moet (that meal alone came to just over RM700.

The Japanese Resturant and Gulai House are cheaper than the 'normal' restaurant (which seems to do more western dishes like steak etc, hence uses ingredients which are probably imported and therefore more chargeable). The food in all restaurants is fantastic.

A draft beer, cost RM19 (about £2.80). A Tiger beer, from a can, cost RM17. In the mini bar this was reduced to RM11. A bottle of wine cost anything from RM115 for a great White Chilean 2002 Chardonnay, upwards (their is a huge wine list). I don't know anything about wine by the way, but I know the wine choice was huge and catered for experienced tastes too.

If you get the chance, then you can stock up on wine and beer at a duty free shop in the town.

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi