We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair access in Langkawi

3 posts
Save Topic
Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Hi there, I'm planning my trip to Langkawi for 9 days in November with a friend. I'm totally dependent on my wheelchair. Can anyone recommend accommodation and the best area to stay which is close to things to do/see/eat? I am relatively active and enjoy being able to stroll around rather than being dependent on taxis. I would also be grateful for recommendations on activities. Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,119 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Hi

Langkawi is really not wheelchair friendly but a couple of the hotels in the main tourist area such as Meritus Pelangi or Frangipani are basically built on the flat with good paths and ground floor accommodation. From both these hotels there are shops and restaurants fairly close but the pavements are a nightmare even for people who are able bodied so would be even worse for someone in a wheelchair I'm afraid.

Most activities are geared around sailing, mangrove tours, wildlife, water activities and jungle trekking so not really suitable for you.

The airport is small and you have to board the plane via steps so that could be difficult as quite often the lift thing is not working!

You may be better looking elsewhere for your holiday rather than being disappointed.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Thanks - I spent last weekend sailing and love water activities so looking forward to getting amongst it. I'll take a look at those resorts.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,119 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Great. Only you know what your capabilities are but don't say I didn't warn you ;o)

I spent some time on the island wearing a cast on my foot and leg and it was a nightmare as the pavements are so uneven and difficult to walk on.

It would be great if you could come back on the forum after your trip and let us know how you found your stay, from the perspective of a wheelchair user as I am sure it will help others.

Lesley

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Hi Laura,

Before you book your flights keep in mind that not all airlines have fork lifts..

I am pretty sure Malaysia Airlines have a fork lift thus enabling you to board via the front of the aircraft, but not too sure about Air Asia, Malindo or Scoot.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,377 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Dear Laura,

Langkawi is great even in a wheal chair. The people are extremely helpful. You can for sure do a lot of activities and even sailing but check it with the tour operator and ensure that the yacht in not an anchorage.

I guess you googled. I found quite a few interesting articles.

My choice for you would indeed be Meritus Pelangi. I hope you can afford it. The garden is like a park and everything is easy accessible and you are closed to a lot of restaurants.

I would love you to tell us your experience!

Eva

Edited: 10:29 pm, August 14, 2018
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Thanks for the tip - I am flying with Malaysian Airlines and booked through a travel agent who will have made sure to check for wheelchair access - but I'll double check that!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Cheers Laura,

Hope you have a wonderful time on a wonderful island.

Janet

Kingswood, Australia
Level Contributor
542 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Hi Laura,

My 18 year old daughter Chelsea has CP cannot walk at all and uses a wheelchair.

She is quite well travelled having been to Singapore, Siem Reap Cambodia, Hoi An Vietnam, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Tonga, and have just this week returned from Bali and Lombok.

We have booked to go to Penang and Langkawi at Christmas time.

I have done a fair bit of research and watched some Youtube videos and don’t think it will be anymore difficult then where we have already been.

We have booked at the Malibest Resort direct with them a Deluxe Family Suite on the ground Floor.

We book our flights with a travel agent who always marks our booking with wheelchair assistance.

We book her wheelchair as luggage and transfer into one of the airlines chairs. You need to specify that you need an aisle chair to board the plane. If they do not have an air bridge or lift you might find that you are carried up the stairs.

We actually hire a folding wheelchair at home so not to have to worry about damage to her customised one.

For our last trip we got one with smaller wheels which made it easier for getting up and down steps and pavements.

Good luck with your travels.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wheelchair access in Langkawi

Fantastic advice there Kath and your research has paid off with all those great locations you guys have visited. Wishing you all a fantastic trip to Langkawi and Penang.

Cheers

Sean

Reply to: Wheelchair access in Langkawi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted