We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in Langkawi

Milton Keynes, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling in Langkawi

Where's the best place to snorkel in Langkawi and how do you get there? Do we need to bring our own equipment or is it easily available to rent?

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

Take a boat trip out to Palau Payar, its far superior for snorkeling than Langkawi itself. Book a trip from Kuah Jetty or through your resort. Prices vary, but most provide the kit. Check on arrival and do not book in advance.

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

Hi,

There are island hopping tour and Pulau Payar tour that allows excellent snorkelling. Use the prices as guidelines and book it with local agent when you are there for better prices.

langkawi-online.com/pages/opional-tours.php

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

Its cheaper to book the trip at the jetty than going through langkawi-online. Same company will take you out anyway.

NYC
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

Definitely check on arrival --Langkawi Coral advised us last week the water at Pular Payar is very choppy now and visibility 3 meters or less. So wait til youre here and inquire as to what the water conditions are. No problem booking a trip by phone call/walk-up.

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

Sorry Alex, missed " use the prices as a guideline ".

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

Hi Albertscat, :- ))

mALAYSIA
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

you should check out Keng Chuan Travel and Tour. http://www.langkawiislandtour.com

They offer a bout trip where you can go snorkelly. I joined their bout tour last month, it was fun. This company offer a safer tour compare to other company in Langkawi.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

The snorkelling trip to Pulau Payar is a long day trip.

I made a number of enquiries about snorkelling locally off Langkawi beaches. The boatman at Casa Del Mar said that it was possible to snorkel off some of the small islands but when we investigated the tide was high and visibility not good.

I ment a Canadfian who said that there is a small village near Tanjung Rhu, at the mouth of a river, and he took a boat trip from there to a nearby island where the snorkelling was good. Has anybody done that?

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

Hi

I went to Payar when I went to Langkawi last year and that was a nice day trip. We even got to swim with small sharks and a barracuda! The equipment was included when we went but we had brought our own gear. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com if you want to take a look at my Langkawi trip report for more info :-)

Regards

Gard

Kent, England
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkelling in Langkawi

Hi carhire!

In February last I stayed at the Tanjung Rhu Resort Hotel. To the right of the hotel (as you look out to sea) there is an 'Artisan' (so called) area selling food and clothes. It is not a village. However, there are a number of stalls selling tours around the mangoves etc. and behind the 'Artisan's' is quite a large Jetty. From either you can arrange boat trips to suit your own needs, and the trips are quite cheap. They can take you to a nearby island which advertises 'fish feeding' but you can snorkel in clear water with plenty of fish. I have been there!

David