We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Connection Time

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Airport Connection Time

Hi guys,

I am visiting Langkawi from London on 21st March for just over a week.

My flight will land in Kuala Lumpur at 15:25. How much time will I need to catch an internal flight to Langkawi? I understand that I will need to change terminals.

I will be travelling with luggage

Would a flight leaving at 17:50 give me enough time? It would be around 2.5 hours connection time - assuming and hoping my flight from London isn't delayed!

Thanks for your help and advice, I am looking forward to visiting Langkawi for the first time.

Daniel

6 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
241 reviews
1. Re: Airport Connection Time

Hi

It looks like you are flying on two separate tickets with two different airlines.

If that is the case then you will not have time to collect your luggage, go through customs and travel to KLIA2. You need at least 3+ hours to be on the safe side.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Airport Connection Time

I haven't changed airports recently but I think there is a fast train now between the 2 airports...

Can someone update me on this?

Eva

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
589 posts
97 reviews
3. Re: Airport Connection Time

Hi Daniel,

To answer your question we need more information please.

Which airline are you flying with from London to Kuala Lumpur? and which airline are you using from Kuala Lumpur to Langkawi?]

As Steady suggested if you have two seperate tickets, you will most likely have to re-claim your luggage on arrival in Kul,. This will take time depending on how quickly they unload the aircraft. You will then have to re-check in for your Kul/Langkawi flight. They normally close check in around 45-60 minutes before departure.

There are two choices from Kul to Langkawi...Malindo Airlines which leave from KLIA1 or Air Asia which depart from KLIA2..

Yes there is a "fast train" between these 2 terminals and it takes roughly 3 minutes, but there is a lot of walking from check in to departure gates. It is the walking that takes the time, and if your like us, you will also get lost a couple of times...KLIA2 is not a "user friendly" airport in my opinion.

Lets know the above questions, and will see if we can offer more precice information.

cheers

Janet

Ahmedabad, India
12 posts
4. Re: Airport Connection Time

Hi i also have the same situation but i am arriving through Air asia on KLIA2 at 15.25 and have langkawi flight at 17.50 by Air aisa from KLIA2 only. In that case do i have sufficient time as it is within the same terminal

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
241 reviews
5. Re: Airport Connection Time

Hi

Are you travelling on one ticket or two? If it is one ticket then you need to check that your baggage will be sent straight through to Langkawi which means you will not have to collect them when you arrive at 15.25 and re-check them in.

If it is two separate tickets, then you will be very short on time especially if your inbound flight is delayed which is quite often the case with AirAsia.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Airport Connection Time

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice.

We are flying into Terminal M (KLIA) and then out to Langkawi with Air Asia (KLIA2)

Based on your comments I will book a later flight to be on the safe side

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated

Daniel

Reply to: Airport Connection Time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted