We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in Langkawi

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out in Langkawi

Any tips for eating out and are prices similar to say Thailand?

8 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out in Langkawi

Hi

Prices are more expensive than Thailand and you can get cuisine of all types from Subway and McD to top class restaurant food. What other tips do you want?

Wales
Level Contributor
627 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out in Langkawi

Sorry to disagree with you Lesley but I was in Langkawi in March and Thailand in August. We spent far more money on drinks and food in Thailand than we did in Langkawi. Exchange rate for the baht is very poor at the moment. You can probably buy cheap food where the locals eat but average restaurants were more expensive.

We thought Langkawi was cheaper in comparison. Been going to Thailand for 15 years prices have been creeping up every time!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out in Langkawi

Oh dear. So we are getting better value in Malaysia even though GBP is pretty low against the Ringgit. That's good to know.

Wales
Level Contributor
627 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out in Langkawi

We were changing money almost every day in Thailand as opposed to every 2-3 days in Langkawi. We didn’t do any trips in Thailand as we have seen most of the island we were on. Our biggest expense in Langkawi was a jet ski tour which was excellent. We actually came home with money when we went to Langkawi!! Lol

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out in Langkawi

I've always found Thailand cheaper than Malaysia for food and drink but when visiting Thailand we tend to avoid the busier resorts. Still not expensive compared to the UK.

Wales
Level Contributor
627 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out in Langkawi

We eat outside in local restaurants and quieter areas still cheaper than UK but not as cheap as it used to be. We had a wonderful time in Langkawi and ate and drank what we wanted and still didn’t change as much money as Thailand. Personally I don’t go away and worry too much about what I spend after all I have worked and saved hard and like to go away and enjoy.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
196 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out in Langkawi

You will get lots of eating out options in Pantai Cenang and Pantai Tengah.

For more details you can refer tripadvisor for best eat outs.

I have followed the same and results were awesome.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out in Langkawi

tourist restaurants run at rm25 to rm50 [£5 - £10] approximately for main courses. alcohol in restaurants is similar to pub prices in the u.k.

there is astonishingly cheap food available in local outdoor restaurants, and the quality is better than you might expect by looking at them, but it can be very spicy.

there are U.S. and european chain restaurants, along with malaysian chains. good coffee is becoming more available, but prices are similar to the U.K.

on our last trip, although the exchange rate was better than it had been for sometime, we found the mid-range restaurants which we prefer [mainly Indian and Arab food] had inflated their prices by some 30%, so it seemed more expensive..

much depends on where you are staying. on P.Cenang, for example, such is the number of options that competition keeps the prices relatively low, but for fresh seafood, we found the Chinese outdoor restaurants in Kuah to give better value. there, a medium-sized whole steamed fish in sauce costs around £7.

Reply to: Eating out in Langkawi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi