We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephants in Langkawi

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Elephants in Langkawi

Hi,

Just wondered if there are any elephant sanctuaries in Langkawi that you can visit as a tourist.

I love elephants and would love to have the opportunity to see some when we`re there.

Are there any elephant treks available on Langkawi too?

Thanks,

Di

Dev's Adventure Tours
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Eco Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Sightseeing Tours
Langkawi Mangrove Tour - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Langkawi Tour - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephants in Langkawi

They don't do this kind of thing in Langkawi, you'd need to visit Thailand for this.

However, if you want to see an elephant on Langkawi they do have a poor creature chained up at the the Oriental Village. You can purchase some sugarcane to feed it.

Its a disgrace !

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephants in Langkawi

I would say the elephant does not appear to be mistreated, it looks healthy and the two guys that care for it seem very responsible.

I just have a problem with animals that are not in the natural environment.

Have a look .... see what you think.

They brought the animal all the way from Malacca ! Poor thing !

Elephants are very sensitive creatures. It made me sad to see this.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephants in Langkawi

Hohoho Gatekeeperdi, I think you kinda landed on the wrong place. There are plenty of monkeys and a few rare "boars" spotted in Langkawi, but i guess the island is just over developed and too small for a family of jumbos.

No elephants, no sanctuary, no treks. Better luck if you go up to Chiang Mai Thailand. Not many animals left in Malaysia since people like to chop trees down....

good luck,

GT2000

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephants in Langkawi

For all its worth, might be an idea to post in the thai forums about this. Last year while in Satun we saw four elephants (with keepers) walking around the streets by the main market in Satun.

Satun is only 50mins by boat from Langkawi, Chang Mai is a bit of a trek from Langkawi if your only on a two week holiday.

They do still have that one elephant at the Oriental Village, you'll see him/her as you approach the ground station of the cable car.

So touristy !

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephants in Langkawi

Thanks for your replies.

I saw an article on the Tanjung Rhu website stating that there was to be an elephant sanctuary at Air Hangat, which is why I made the initial post.

I take it that this information is wrong then?

Thanks anyway.

Di

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephants in Langkawi

Unless something has happened over the past two months I can confirm that there is not an elephant sanctuary at Tanjung Rhu.

Maybe its got something to do with the hindu temple that is on the road on the way to Tanjung Rhu.

7. Re: Elephants in Langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, August 20, 2009