We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Daughter getting married in JB...........

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
405 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Daughter getting married in JB...........

I would appreciate some advice on getting married in JB.

She is English and her fiance is Malaysian, they hope to marry in August or September once she has been resident for 7 days and they have posted their intent for 21 days (they arrive in KL on 30th June).

My query is whether they can arrange their wedding date before the 21 days has expired or do they have to wait? Does the registry office get very busy? Will they be able to get a date fairly quickly or is there a wait for an appointment?

I am hoping to travel out there to be with her but cant book flights or hotel until they know they have a definate date.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Daughter getting married in JB...........

Hi canarybird, firstly congratulations. They have to wait for the grace period, and should there be no public objections, then they can proceed with marriage registration.

Sometimes, it is not the marriage registry office that is busy, but maybe on the part of your daughter's fiance's family who are observing which dates is suitable for marriage.

Frankly, they are suppose to chose a date which is considered auspicious, then check with the registry if you request could be accommodated.

So, if the date is auspicious and if you are late to submit in your application, and if there is a crowd already,then yours will be delayed.

It is also very important that her fiance's National Registration Identification Card bears a JB address, otherwise the JB marriage registrar will not accept the application

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
405 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Daughter getting married in JB...........

Thanks for the info :)

3. Re: Help! Daughter getting married in JB...........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, August 13, 2009