We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Masoala National Park to Marojejy National Park

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Masoala National Park to Marojejy National Park

We will be travelling in Madagascar for aprox 5 weeks in October and/or November this year.

We are keen to visit both Masoala National Park (including Nosy Mangabe) and Marojejy National Park. Is there any way to travel between the two (either by road or by boat or by flying), or will we need to return to the capital and then start again? Or is there any way to travel between Maroantsetra and Sambava?

Many thanks

Aled

5 replies to this topic
1. Re: Travel from Masoala National Park to Marojejy National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:47 am, April 29, 2014

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Masoala National Park to Marojejy National Park

I have replied your second threads before seeing this one. OK, Then!

Masoala is almost the most expensive destination you may have if you are not an adventurer. For classic way is that you have to fly Antananarivo - Maroantsetra. Then, take boat from Maroantsetra to Masoala, which is the most expensive transfer by boat that you may have in Madagascar.

It possible to join Maroantsetra by car. If you have to take taxibrousse from Tamatave to Maroantsetra, it is better to buy ALL the front seat only for two of you. Well, the taxibrousse is Toyota HILUX 2.4 or 2.8.

It is also possible to reach Tamatave by road and join Maroantsetra by boat. The cargo boat is not recommended as they are very low and risky. It is better to take Melissa Express. There are two departure from Tamatave. NOTE THAT : the engine is often broken on the large. I am from Maroantsetra and I know it! The schedule is never sure until you leave!

From Maroantsetra, you can go to Masoala with the boat of the hotel where you will stay in Masoala instead of booking a boat transfer with private operator.

From Masoala, you can hike to Antalaha within three days. Then, you can drive to Samabava and then to Marojejy. There is a weekly flight from Maroantsetra to Samabava. Buy your ticket and confirm it in Antananarivo, in Tamatave and when you arrive Maroantsetra before going to Masoala.

It is quite an adventure.

I tell you something good : in october, the road is not muddy anymore. You can join Ambilobe easily!!

It is eay to join Marojejy by car : Antananarivo - Ankarafantsika - Sahamalaza - Ankarana - (Diego Suarez) - Ambilobe - Sambava - Marojejy - Antalaha (end of drive). But Masoala is different, and it worth the adventure if you are READY!

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Masoala National Park to Marojejy National Park

Many thanks for your help. Is the flight from Maroantsetra to Sambava only weekly? Would we need to pre-book this in advance, or can we book the flight when we arrive in Maroantsetra?

If we did decide to do the 3 day hike from Masoala to Antalaha, can you please tell me how difficult the hike would be? Is there lots of interesting things to see on the way? And how much would the hike be?

Many thanks

Maroantsetra...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Masoala National Park to Marojejy National Park

I would like to help you to well organize your trips whatever you wish to do, we have all equipment necessary for trekking or camping. your satisfaction is our pleasure so feel free to write and asking if you need more information, this is my contact elyseeguide@yahoo.fr

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Masoala National Park to Marojejy National Park

We visited Masoala from Maroansetra, spent 3 days or so and 1 on Nosy Mangabe and then returned to Maroansetra and took a flight on a decrepit looking plane to Sambava. The hike to Antalaha from Maroanstra is not meant to be through an interesting part of Masoala. I believe there is a longer hike to Cap Est which takes a week but does go through more interesting terrain. We did not have time for this.

I contacted a private guide for which I cannot find his details now for our trip to Masoala. The lodges are very, very expensive, so this guy sorted out a boat trip and accommodation to and from Masoala. It didn't work out perfectly, but it was literally thousands of pounds cheaper. I remember the boat trip being the expensive part.

If you do not get to Masoala, then take consolation that Marojejy was my favourite place in Madagascar. We went from Tana-Andasibe-Tamatave-Ile St Marie-Tamatave-Maroansetra (via Melissa express)-Masoala-Sambava-Marojejy-then up to Vohemar-Ankarana via golden crowned sifakas-Ankarafantsika-Tana. All by public transport in 4 weeks. It was a tiring trip I would never dream of repeating again as I think we were so lucky not to have any hitches! It was a mindblowing trip though with some of my best travel memories.

Reply to: Travel from Masoala National Park to Marojejy National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maroantsetra