We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?

My wife and I are traveling to Kenya in mid-March and have 4 nights to spend on safari before joining a larger group. We have chosen Samburu (going to the Masi the following week with a group trip).

Opinions on which is the best choice for the 4 nights: Saruni or SaSaab? Cost is not an issue.

7 replies to this topic
nyc
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?

Toss a coin, you won't go wrong with either.

Both are on private conservancies where game drives, bush walk, meals can be done, as well as game drives in the Reserve itself.

Both have beautiful cottages,guides, staff and outstanding meals.

The view from Saruni is absolutely amazing... on a clear day you can see as far south as Mt. Kenya.

Enjoy!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?

There are clear differences between the two though. Sasaab, which I haven't visited, is right on the riverbank, though far upstream to the west of Samburu itself. Saruni is equally far to the north, high up on a rocky col in the Kalama conservancy. I've stayed here and thought it was truly exceptional, with stunning architecture and interior design. But it's perhaps more of a honeymoon spot and a bit less of a game camp in terms of lots of wildlife activity nearby.

I'm sure either would be great though.

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?

Because both of these are small (Saruni with 4/cottages, two of which are family and SaSaab with I believe 9 large cottages), the luxury, and privacy do tend to attract honeymooners. However, I've stayed at both (Saruni twice; SaSaab once) and on none of these visits did I encounter the honeymooners, rather

Saruni - 2 single gals; 3 single men; 1 couple; mom and young daughter

SaSaab - family of 5 (including 3/adult children); and older couple; a single gal.

You won't know from day-to-day the guest make-up, but as most guests have exclusive use of vehicle it doesn't make much difference. Both offer family-style dining, though at either you can eat at your own cottage.

Again... toss a coin.

Kenya
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?

If I may add a point to the ones above: Saruni - of which I am the owner - is 7km from Saburu National Reserve and - more importantly - is inside Kalama Wildlife Conservancy, were the numbers and variety of wildlife are increasing very fast due to the absence of human settlement and livestock. The other day I saw from the Saruni terrace three lioness "fighting" with elephants for access to the waterhole!These days is very dry and animals have little to drink. So, Saruni is close - closer - to widlife.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?

That's an amazing anecdote Riccardo – good to hear you're getting some exceptional game-viewing! Though I guess rain would be even better news.

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?

Hi there Ric!

Nice to hear from you up North. Friends recently here (back only this past w/e) had some amazing game viewing including a cheetah taking down a gerenuk! WOW!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?

I've stayed at Saruni Samburu, and thought that it was an exceptional lodge in every way,shape and form. The fact that it's located in it's own conservancy allows guests to take night drives,and go on walking safaris. One can also visit a Samburu village, and climb a local mountain. The views from Saruni Samburu were just incredible,and I especially enjoyed sitting around the campfire with my other guests and seeing the stars.

On one of my game drives I saw an amazing encounter between two cheetahs and a herd of oryx. The antelope acted together,and succeeded in scaring off the cheetahs. One of the oryx put his head down and charged one of the cheetahs which reacted by rapidly running away. It was just awesome!!!!

I also saw an aardwolf which is one of my dream animals on a night drive. I also saw three Grevy's zebras/.

I will be returning to Saruni Samburu in the future.

Reply to: Samburu : March 11 Saruni or SaSaab?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Samburu National...