We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Samburu Intrepids to Ashnil Samburu Lodge

Warrington
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from Samburu Intrepids to Ashnil Samburu Lodge

Hi

I know this is being covered by other forums but we are in the similar position of being moved from the Intrepids to the Ashnil Samburu.

Most of the reviews of the Ashnil have patently been posted by an employee of the company. Are these two lodges a similar level. If not what would you recommend?

This is a package deal from Virgin Holidays called "Heritage Fly in Safari" (who own the Intrepids) . So I am not sure how easy it would be to substitute another lodge.

I am so disappointed as this is a once in a lifetime trip to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We only booked recently so I feel really ripped off by Virgin for stringing us along when they knew the Intrepids would not be available.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,726 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from Samburu Intrepids to Ashnil Samburu Lodge

Ashnil Samburu isn't comparable to the old Intrepids – nowhere near. Ashnil has repaired their flood damage (they were also closed for several months) and reopened, while Heritage is rebuilding Intrepid Samburu as I understand it in a less flood-prone location.

One alternative in Samburu would be Larsens – quite high-end and recently supposed to have reopened.

Heritage properties are excellent and the company has a good reputation, so they should treat you well. . . I would firmly insist on not being downgraded.

Good luck!

Richard

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from Samburu Intrepids to Ashnil Samburu Lodge

I have just returned from Samburu which is gradually recovering from the drought of last year and now the flood. Game is returning and many of the elephant families are back but big cats are scarce but it really is a safari to have to hunt for them. Most of the camps along the river bed have been wiped out and Intrepids is now based out of Ashnil which is a real blot on the landscape compared to Intrepids. For a special treat I would suggest staying just outside the reserve at Sasaab or at Joy's in Shaba the reserve adjacent to Samburu.

3. Re: Transfer from Samburu Intrepids to Ashnil Samburu Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 18, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Samburu National...