We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving from Samburu Intrepids.

Dearborn, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
Moving from Samburu Intrepids.

I have a safari planned for a party of 8. I was just informed that due to the flooding in Samburu I will be moved from Samburu Intrepids (2 nights) to SweetWater's Tented Camp for 2 nights. Are these equal properties ?? I was sold on the Intrepids being "luxury tents" and I don't see that with the SweetWaters property. Also we are coming from the Mt. Kenya Safari Lodge after two nights and I'm afraid this is going to be a BIG step down. Should I push for an extra night at Mt. Kenya Safari Lodge and just stay one night at Sweetwater's. ??

Thanks,

Mary -

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving from Samburu Intrepids.

Sweetwater's and Mt. Kenya Safari Club are close by to one another and completely different. The latter, a resort-type lodge, whereas Sweetwater's is a camp, but on private lands so night game drives can be done, also the Jane Goodall Chimp Sanctuary; even lion tracking can be arranged (fee). I sure wouldn't spend another nt at Mt. Kenya Safari Club.

In Samburu, the Sopa and Simba Lodges are operating (not damaged by the floods), if there is space available. They will be a step down from Intrepid's. Or you can look at Shaba Reserve, adjacent to Samburu - using Shaba Lodge or Joy's Camp. Or two other camps open at Samburu, but on private conservation lands - Saruni or SaSaab Camps.

Joy's, Saruni and SaSaab will be more expensive than Intrepid's. And as Saruni only has 4/cottages, may not be able to handle your entire group.

Maybe look at Lewa or Meru or even Laikipia areas as an alternative to Samburu.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
521 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving from Samburu Intrepids.

Sweetwaters is a great camp and the tents are very similar to Intrepids.

While Sweetwaters is not in the semi desert area of Samburu you will still have a great safari there.

I think it is a good alternative.

USA
Level Contributor
701 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving from Samburu Intrepids.

When is your party of 8 booked in to Intrepids?

It may also help to know the rest of your itinerary to see how Sweetwaters or any other place would fit logistically and how it would complement your other locations.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,874 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving from Samburu Intrepids.

What are you planning to do while at Mt Kenya Safari Club? Many guests staying at MKSC head to Sweetwaters for the day (they're very close) for game drives and to visit the chimp sanctuary. Unless you're just choosing to relax on the grounds of MKSC or planning other activities, it may be too much Sweetwaters. I agree that it would help to know the time of year and see the rest of your itinerary.

Mara, Kenya...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving from Samburu Intrepids.

my thoughts- do not add a day to mt kenya... nothing special one night is plenty. if you can push for a samburu camp/lodge do so - even if it costs a bit more or is a step down. I think you will enjoy Samburu more.

sweetwaters is not the same as Samburu. Sweetwaters is cool option but really again i feel one day is enough.

share what you decide or lets us offer suggestions per what they offer you. but you should push for samburu if you can.

6. Re: Moving from Samburu Intrepids.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 17, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Samburu National...