We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is entering Tsavo East through Sala Gate

Which Malindi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How safe is entering Tsavo East through Sala Gate

I am planning a safari to Tsavo East from Watamu (Turtle Bay).

Does anyone know how safe it is to enter Tsavo East through Sala Gate. I hear that it is a deserted area and therefore there is a risk of getting robbed.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is entering Tsavo East through Sala Gate

The convoy goes to Sala gate at around 7am from Malindi - we've done it a few times and had no problems.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is entering Tsavo East through Sala Gate

Completely safe. As with the "convoy" from near Amboseli to Chyulu Gate of Tsavo West, it seems to be a leftover "precaution" from a period of a few incidents more than a decade ago – in fact I think probably the late 1980s. It's not always a convoy – a dozing policeman in the front of your vehicle is also considered to be enough security.

You have nothing to worry about and I've never heard of anyone experiencing any trouble on either of these routes.

Richard

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is entering Tsavo East through Sala Gate

Hi,

we have driven this route mostly on our own for years and never had or heard of anyone experiencing any problems , as Richard says from the 80's.

Go for it but the cops do go each day, you just have to find out what time if you do want them.

enjoy

agy

South West
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is entering Tsavo East through Sala Gate

Hi there

We were in Malindi a little while back, and travelled into Tsavo East via Sala Gate on 1st July 2010. There was just one safari van, no convoy, with me, the other half, our driver and our guide. We had a bumpy but uneventful journey to and from Sala Gate - and the most amazing safari - so have fun!

Vic

5. Re: How safe is entering Tsavo East through Sala Gate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 13, 2011