We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you get around in Kazakhstan

KZ
1 post
Save Topic
How do you get around in Kazakhstan

I have just arrived in Almaty - KZ (looking out for Borat lookalikes) which is currently -7. Although I have all the amenities a sane person can ask for, I still cant figure out how locals without a car get any where. WHERE ARE ALL THE TAXIS?

Anyone got any Taxi numbers, or private taxis that they can recommend. My ears are frozen.

new zealander in aus
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you get around in Kazakhstan

Philias,

Good luck! Ask your hotel to get you a driver, should cost you no more than 500tenge a day.

Otherwise, tell the hotel where you want to go & get them to hail you a car - taxi's are so scarce, and expensive, you find everyone gets into normal cars.

perfectly safe - as long as you can speak some russian.

word of warining - should never cost you more than 400tenge.

Good luck!

and thanks for the weather warning i'm heading back at end of jan.

(you'll never find any borat lookalikes, in fact you'll find most people have never heard of him!)

Almaty
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you get around in Kazakhstan

Hi!

The previous message is correct. There are no Borat lookalikes in Kazakhstan. The movie was made in Romania and has nothing to do with kazakhs.

There are lots of taxi companies. Call 058, 555 333, 999 777...

You can just raise your hand anywhere in the city and most drivers will stop (the price is from 200 to 500 tenge within the city)

3. Re: How do you get around in Kazakhstan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 24, 2009