We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight or train to Almaty from the UK (North East England)?

Which Almaty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland.
Level Contributor
123 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Flight or train to Almaty from the UK (North East England)?

I've looked at flights to Almaty, but it looks like it is all pricey from the UK and moreso flying from my local airports of newcastle & Durham Tees Valley . Does anyone have any other recommendations please?

We would also consider a flight/train option, flying to a nearby country and then getting the train in, but all I've come up with is pricey options and half the time going round in circles.

If we fly then we would probably be staying from a Monday to a Thursday/Friday (3-4 nights). If it is the train option then that will impact on the length of our stay.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

ITS

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight or train to Almaty from the UK (North East England)?

I would not recommend using a local KZ train; this will definitely be unpleasant journey. You can check for the flights via Baku (Azerbaijan airlines) or Istanbul, it can turn to be a cheaper option.

Could be useful:

Azal:

http://azal.az/en/index.php

Air Astana (KZ)

http://www.airastana.com/

vickye
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight or train to Almaty from the UK (North East England)?

From April 08 Air Baltic will operate a route from London to Almaty, with a stopover in Riga. A friend and I just booked London - Riga with Ryanair and Riga - Almaty with Air Baltic, and it worked out at about £120. Not sure if Ryanair fly from regional airports to Riga, but someone might, and if not, you could always get the train down to Stanstead.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight or train to Almaty from the UK (North East England)?

The tip about flying via Riga seems pretty good. Didn't think it was possible to get it so cheap. I usually travel from Manchester via Amsterdam to Almaty with KLM and it costs roughly 800 pounds return.

There is a train connection to Almaty from Moscow, but I doubt that it will be cheaper than the above option. But it will seriously eat into your time available as the distances you need to cover in Russia and Kazakhstan are massive compared with what you are used to from the UK. For example it takes three days to travel by train from Atyrau in the west of Kazakhstan to Almaty in the east!

And don't forget any visa issues that you may have if you chose to travel via Russia or any other neighbouring country. This shouldn't be an issue if you go via Latvia.

4. Re: Flight or train to Almaty from the UK (North East England)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 26, 2009