We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aomori Excursion?

Which Aomori hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Aomori Excursion?

We're arriving at the port near Aomori in early October for about 10 hours and are looking for info or recommendations on local guides or tour companies. The ship doesnt offer much. Can we walk off the ship and see the area or city on foot or using local transportation? What are the best places to visit?

Thanks

Marlboro, New Jersey
Level Contributor
209 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Aomori Excursion?

Thank you for all your help..unfortunately the links are in Japanese LOL! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Aomori Excursion?

English information about Hirosaki castle and access

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3700.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3702.html

live webcam of the castle and the park

…ntt-east.co.jp/livecamera/hiro_tenshu/java

loop bus schedule in Japanese (not operating from Dec to Mar the following year)

http://konanbus.com/100yenbus/100yenbus.htm

city transit map in Japanese

…aomori.jp/kurashi/sumai/a3ura-l.pdf

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Aomori Excursion?

William, we are also going to this port in Japan.

How easy is it to board the buses ie buy tickets etc.? as we do not speak Japanese or read it.

We would like to do things on our own so any advice would be great. Interested in seeing the site (mound village) etc.

What sites would you recommend as we only have the one day in port?

thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Aomori Excursion?

We are in this port for one day.

How easy is it to purchases bus tickets to get around as we don't read or speak Japanese. Any info as to what to see easily in 1 day would be great.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Aomori Excursion?

We don’t speak or write Japanese but riding a bus is not difficult. The following are some guidelines.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2015.html

Where to go really depends on individual preference. Personally I like history and art, so my picks are Aomori Museum of Art and Sannai-Maruyama Iseki. You only need to take one bus journey to and from Aomori station as the 2 places are close to each other and there is a free shuttle running between them.

After coming back to Aomori you can enjoy a seafood meal in the Auga seafood market, shop for some local souvenirs in ASPAM and time allowed walk over to the Aomori Bay Bridge and take a look onboard the Hakkoda-maru.

Another factor is time of visit. If you are going late April I would suggest making an effort to go to Hirosaki. It’s cherry blossom season and the Hirosaki Castle Park is one of the famous spots for sakura in Japan.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Aomori Excursion?

We would like to go to the same places, William, as you mentioned.

How many stops would we go? I assume everything is in Japanese so how do you know when to push the button to notify the bus driver?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Aomori Excursion?

If you have difficulties matching and identifying the kanji characters shown on the electronic panel above the bus front exit, print out the front page of the following 2 sites with the Japanese name on it and show it to the bus driver. I’m sure the driver would be happy to let you know which stop to get off.

http://www.aomori-museum.jp/ja/ (Aomori Museum of Art, 青森県立美術館)

sannaimaruyama.pref.aomori.jp/index.html (Sannai-Maruyama Iseki, 三内丸山遺跡)

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Aomori Excursion?

Many thanks to everyone for the helpful information. We've decided to do our own thing here and perhaps use the buses to see some of the outlying areas around Aomori.

We set sail in just two weeks and are really looking forward to seeing ports in Japan, Russia and China. It should be an amazing trip!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Aomori Excursion?

William thank you for all your help--we are going to try this plan.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Aomori Excursion?

Digging a bit deeper into my disorganized references, I find the following schedule which shows the bus route from Aomori station 青森駅 to the Aomori Museum of Art 県立美術館 (270 yen) and Sannai-Maruyama Iseki 三内丸山遺跡 (300 yen).

…aomori.jp/page7.file/…menkyosenta24.pdf (weekdays)

…aomori.jp/page7.file/…menkyosenta24.pdf (weekends and holidays)

Get answers to your questions about Aomori