We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your advise on Tohoku + Hokkaido route for October

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need your advise on Tohoku + Hokkaido route for October

Hello,

Please give me your opinion on the following route as I plan no more than 9 nights in Hokkaido and 6 nights in Tohoku region before taking the train back to Tokyo. Love to see and stay at farm/ try to milk cows and eat good beef/ good seafood . Visit onsen -prefer the outdoor type ryokan with mixed bath and pick up rental car drive around to see scenic area and fall foliage. Many thanks!

Please add suggestions and correct my route:

Day 1: Arrive Sapporo at night on Oct 7- Stay Sapporo

Day 2: Sapporo - Stay Sapporo

Day 3: Otaru - Stay Otaru

Day 4: Rent a car. Visit from Aashikawa to Biei or Furano- stay at Furano??? --IS it worth going there at all in Oct and driving around? I should be here around Oct 10 - 15 that time period

Day 5: Shintoku / Obihiro- Stay at Farm house - I want to try to milk cows and eat the best beef in this area. That's the reason I stay here. Do you know any farm/logging???

Day 6: Train from Obihiro to Nobu Onsen and stay a night there

Day 7: Hakodate

Day 8: Hakodate

Day 9 & 10- JR to Aomori and rent a car, drive to Oirase Stream and spend 2 nights around Lake Towada (or do u think 1 night is enough here?)

Day 11 & 12: Tazawako / Stay at Nyuto Onsen for 2 nights

Day 13: Hakunodate and stay a night

Day 14: Sendai

The Rest to Tokyo

Questions:

1) SHould I pick up the rental car at Aashikawa or Biei and then return at Obihiro?

2) Should I pick up the car at Aomori and drive to Oirase? I herad this is a scenic drive through mountain?

3) IF you think there's not much to see in Obihiro area in mid-Oct, what do u think of the following as replacement?

Day 1: Fly to Abashiri from Tokyo -Stay Abashiri

Day 2 & 3: Drive around and stay at Lake Akan

Day 4: Return car at Kushiro eithr stay at Kushiro or train to Obihiro and stay at farm house for a night

Day 5 & 6: Sapporo

Day 7: Otaru

Day 8 & 9: Hakodate

Please help...I would like to learn from you all before I go and buy the plane tix. And thanks a lot for every suggestion!

Mentioned in this post
Tohoku
Tohoku
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Otaru
Otaru
Hokkaido, Japan
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Obihiro
Obihiro
Hokkaido, Japan
Aomori
Aomori
Aomori Prefecture, Japan
Oirase Mountain Stream
Oirase Mountain Stream
785 Reviews
Towada, Japan
Lake Towada
Lake Towada
183 Reviews
Tohoku, Japan
Sendai
Sendai
Miyagi Prefecture, Japan
Oirase-cho
Oirase-cho
Kamikita-gun, Japan
Abashiri
Abashiri
Hokkaido, Japan
Kushiro
Kushiro
Hokkaido, Japan
1. Re: Need your advise on Tohoku + Hokkaido route for October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, December 11, 2010