We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Morioka

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do in Morioka

Hi all

I will be in Morioka for two days in early Nov this year - can anyone tell me what there is to do in Morioka, or any daytrips that I can take? I will have a JR travel pass, and will be with one other adult. We like all aspects of Japan - historical, architecture, food, modern also (eg manga, technology etc) so any suggestions at all will be appreciated. Also any reviews on where to stay (we are on a budget that will allow for us to stay at business hotel level - like toyoko inn type places). Thanks heaps!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Morioka

Hi,

Morioka has a pretty new Toyoko Inn hotel just 1 min from the JR Morioka station.

Since you have a JR Pass, you may want to travel a bit to Matsushima, Hirosaki or possibly a trip to Hakodate (depending on what JR Pass you are holding on to)

Don't think Morioka has much to offer to tourists.

Cheers!

Bernard

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Morioka

Hi aleph,

you won't be bored in Morioka. Will put a list of things to do plus a few photos on the "things to do" section on Morioka.

We stayed there May 2006 at the Ruiz hotel. It is located on the right hand side of the main road about 100 metres from the station, just before the bridge over the Kiatakamigawa (River).

We had a fairly large twin room for Yen 8,800. Beds were comfortable and about 3/4 size of a double. There is a coin laundry on the 7th floor. Beer ect in the vending machines were similar to normal retail price. Staff were very helpful. I rate the hotel as very good. Some of the hotel booking web sights seem expensive compared to what we paid.

You can contact them directly, fax would be best to get over any language problems.

The numbers are Ph 019-6252611, Fax 019-6252673.

Things to do :visit Hoonji (Temple), Kami no Hashi (Bridge) which spans the Nakatsugawa (River) and the old buildings around that area, Iwate Koen (Park) which still has the walls and moats of the castle which was demolished in the mid 1800s.

All the above are worth seeing .

Cheers.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Morioka

Hi again,

A day trip you can take from Morioka is across to Lake Tazawa and the nearby village of Kakunodake . Takes about an hour on the Akita Shinkansen. Kakunodate has some very old Samurai houses amid giant cherry trees. Getting off the train at Tawaza you can catch a local bus just across the road and ride the entire journey around the lake and back to the station. The bus stops a couple of times for people to take photos but otherwise follows a strict timetable as it is a regular commutor bus. Good trip though.

Cheers.

Region of Waterloo...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Morioka

I'm originally from Morioka. Morioka is a beutiful city and people are so wonderful.

If I were there, I would take you around, but I won't be there until Christmas time.

Here's some recommendations:

1) Wanko-soba (all you can eat Soba noodle - Morioka is very famous for it)

2) Take 300 yen all you can ride bus and walk around Morioka

3) Ishiwari-Sakura: A beautiful old cherry tree which grew in the crack of huge rock

4) Walk along Nakatsu river

5) Jaja-men: Again, very original food for just in Morioka

6) Hoonji: 500 buddas

7) Iwayama: You can view Morioka from this small mountain just 20 min bus ride from Bus centre

8) Try to mingle with people there, they are very friendly and helpful. You will see very few Gaijin (foreigner) there.

If you don't mind Japanese style hotel (called ryokan), I would suggest to stay one of ryokan. - sorry I always stay with my parents, so just check on asiarooms.com or other travel sites...

If you can, take a bus to Hachimantai. You will see a beautiful fall scenary.

if you need more information, please contact me!

P.S. I visited Brisbane before, stayed with my Australian friends and loved it!

5. Re: Things to do in Morioka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 22, 2009