We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?

Which Takamatsu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
3 posts
Save Topic
How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?

Hi everyone!

I'll need some help planning for my trip from Osaka to Naruto.

I'll be holding a JR pass for the trip.

Looking for a fast and quick route, but I'm not sure if I could use my pass for the routes I got from Hyperdia.

For now, I have:

1) Shin-Osaka -> Okayama using Shinkansen Hikari

2) Okayama -> Takamatsu using Marine Liner

3) Takamatsu -> Ikenotani using Uzushio Express

4) Ikenotani -> Naruto using JR Naruto Line

5) Naruto -> Park entrance using the local bus

So my question is, does my pass cover all these trains except the local bus fare?

And will this be the most direct route getting to the Uzu no Michi?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Fan

7 replies to this topic
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,879 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?

The JR Pass will cover everything except the bus. I think you have the most direct and fastest way. The Ltd. Express Uzushio doesn't run frequently so plan carefully.

Here is the timetable for Uzushio size:

…tokushima.jp/kanko/siomi/siomi.cgi

Times in blue ink indicate big uzushio and red, medium size--best times to see are 1.5-2 hours before and after.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?

Note that some infrequent ltd. Exp. Uzushio from Okayama go to Tokushima from where the Naruto Line continues to Naruto. If timing is right that means one less transfer.

If not bound by the JR rail pass, there is a direct bus from Osaka Namba and Osaka JR station to Tokushima that has a stop in Naruto and the journey is just about 2.5 hrs.

bus.hankyu.co.jp/highway/highway15.html

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?

Yup! I've got the train times lined up!

But I do have a concern: some transfers have only 2 minutes to switch, will there be enough time to get to the next one?

And I've never used a JR pass before... will I need to get a real ticket and reserve seat every time I transfer a ride? I'm just afraid that I'll miss a ride because of that.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,879 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?

Where is this 2 minutes transfer take place? In general, you should be able to make the transfer unless the arriving and departing platforms are far apart.

There is no need to get a real ticket when you have the JR Pass. If you want to book a reserved seat in any section of your travel, do so at Osaka Station.

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?

The short transfer relays happen at Shinagawa station and Nagoya station, at different parts of my trip. Am I safe?

So basically I can just show the manned gate my pass, go and hop on any valid train?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,879 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?

>>>The short transfer relays happen at Shinagawa station and Nagoya station, at different parts of my trip. Am I safe?<<

It's hard to say without knowing which lines are involved. Shinagawa is a big station. If you're transferring from Yamanote to Shinkansen, for example, 2 minutes is not enough even if you run all the way. Transfer to/from the Shinkansen takes longer since you need to go through the Shinkansen gate.

Just show your pass at the manned gate again.

>>>>So basically I can just show the manned gate my pass, go and hop on any valid train?<<<

Once you go through the manned gate, you can hop onto any train except Nozomi. If you're taking the reserved seat only train, such as the NEX, you'll have to book your seat in advance. You can do this just a few minutes prior to departure.

Japan
Level Contributor
619 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?

I'd plan this trip carefully. Basically you are going to spend hours to get there and may not even see the whirlpools. When I was there they were barely spinning. Personally, I would not make the effort to go unless you are already planning to go to Shikoku or Awajishima. I happened to be driving by so I stopped. Here is a timetable of the whirlpools but it is in Japanese.

http://www.uzusio.com/shio4-6.html

Reply to: How to get to the Naruto whirlpool from Osaka using JR Pass?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Takamatsu