We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour or not?

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Tour or not?

Arriving in Okinawa early November on the cruise ship Diamond Princess and only in port (docks at Naha New Pier) from 12 -7pm. The tours from the ship are quite expensive A$99 for 4 hours to see castle, makret and shops. Should we tour or go into town by taxi and walk around ourselves? How much would a taxi be?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,665 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour or not?

japantravelinfo.com/ongoing/…naha.html

Taxi to the monorail station should be around 1000yen. You can reach the sights you mentioned with monorail.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,338 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour or not?

Shuri Castle is a solid 15-minute walk from the monorail station. Be sure to get a good map for directions before you start the walk.

Kokusai-dori is extremely overrated unless you are interested in souvenir shopping. Okinawa War Memorials are better in my opinion:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7105.html

Okinawa Japan
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour or not?

Well it's all up to you.. I thik it would be nice to walk around by yourselves but then you wont really know what your looking at?.. :s You can also take tours that arent a part of the ship package, If there is something available in your time area limit!?

Check this site out for tour info. There great! :)

http://www.okinawa-information.com/

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour or not?

These are GREAT website links - thank you. I think it looks quite easy to navigate Okinawa on our own. My husband and I will be using the monorail. Here's another great website for the monorail:

okinawa-information.com/content/yuirail-naha…

kyoto
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour or not?

i think 99 dolar is not big for that trip. I mean if you are in japan.

Okinawa, Japan
Level Contributor
21 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour or not?

If you get a good map and have strong legs, you could practically walk Kokusai Street and visit Shuri Castle (at 800 yen) and save $90.

I agree, Kokusai is pretty much a tourist trap for souvineers. From Naha Port, you can walk less than a mile and poretty much catch the flavor of Kokusai. Then hail a taxi for the ride up to the castle; probably under 1000 yen one way. Shuri is worth visiting:

tripadvisor.com/PostReply-g298225-i6341-k304…

Okinawa, Japan
Level Contributor
21 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour or not?

Sorry, editing previous post the only way I know how. Shuri Castle is worth visiting:

bootsnall.com/articles/09-10/five-unesco-cas…

8. Re: Tour or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:26 am, May 06, 2010