We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okinawa weather in early October?

Which Okinawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Okinawa weather in early October?

Hi all,

Am planning to come on Oct 1 - 4 but wonder if it's high risk time for typhoons and rain. Can anyone please kindly advise?

Have been to Okinawa once already last year in mid-July. Crazily sunny though have read of news about typhoon possibility before departure. Funny thing was when we tried to ask one of the locals there if typhoons were coming, he told us "in Okinawa never big typhoon/constant raining days in summer so no worries!" - wonder if it's true?

Many thanks in advance,

Vivian

Okinawa, Ryukyu...
Level Contributor
111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okinawa weather in early October?

Hello Vivian,

I am sure that everyone will tell you that nobody can "predict the weather." Early October is pretty much the "end" of typhoon season, but then again, you never know! As far as the local who told you that big typhoons don't hit Okinawa, he is half right and half wrong. Okinawa used to get hit by big typhoons regularly, but most locals will tell you that in the last 5 years most typhoons seem to hit Ishigaki and Miyako, and then head for China. Just last week a devastating typhoon swept through the southern islands and missed Okinawa Island....Still, who can say when the next big one will hit! My advice is to just come and not worry. If a typhoon does hit, find a nice local bar and drink with the locals...One thing is for sure is that everyone here is used to typhoons, so going out and finding a place to eat and drink is never a problem...unless it's a big one! Enjoy your vacation!

Kenny

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okinawa weather in early October?

Thank you very much, Kenny.

Yeah I totally understand what you're talking about. Me in Hong Kong is also famous for typhoon and usually when it hits us, we just rush out for movies and drinks!

But then travelling to Okinawa is mostly for visiting the lovely stunning beaches plus sun-bathe , so typhoon will still ruin a bit...

anyway many thanks for your help again!

Regards

Vivian

3. Re: Okinawa weather in early October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 23, 2010