We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

Which Okinawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kahuku, HI
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

Hi,

I am going to be visiting in July...I just checked airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa and almost fainted. They are asking $900.00 round trip. that is what I paid for my roundtrip ticket from the states! I was wondering IF there is an "Asian" Southwest airlines that is not advertised on websites. It is a only a 2 hour flight and that kind of money just seems impossible..

ANY help is gladly accepted.

OHH also.. how many days is needed for Okinawa?

thanks so much....aloha

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

Skymark is the only low-cost airline in Japan. However, being Japan, service-wise it is practically the same as full service JAL and ANA. Allocated seats, no charge for checked baggage, decent seat pitch, etc. Meals are not served in domestic flights so the only in-flight difference between Skymark and the other two is that you pay for drinks, which are only about 100yen anyway.

www.skymark.co.jp (english link top right)

It's too early to book through their website (currently only up to April), but I would estimate about 40,000yen round trip. Could be more, could be less-- if your dates are flexible it is best.

When it gets closer to the date, you might want to compare the Skymark price with the other two airlines:

www.jal.co.jp

www.ana.co.jp

I hope you find a decent fare! As for time in Okinawa, I guess it depends on how long you have and whether you plan on visiting the outerlying islands?

seattle
Level Contributor
641 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

I had these bookmarked for travel in Japan by overseas visitors:

ana.co.jp/wws/…airpass.html

http://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/

They describe air passes. Haven't used either myself, so can't offer any comments. Maybe others can.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,788 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

Skymark frequently have discount fares so check their site constantly. As mentioned above, the air passes are also a good deal. Both Oneworld (Japan Airlines when flying domestically) and Star Alliance (All Nippon Airways) have air pass deals or Visit Japan campaigns that can give you one way fares of around 10,000 to 12,000 Yen. With a depressed economy this year, I don't expect these prices to go up.

Check with the airline or your travel agent. You can also look at the Star Alliance or Oneworld websites for more information.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

You could make good use of the Japan Airpass fare in addition to the Skymark option:

…blogspot.com/2008/07/japan-airpass.html

For purchase, you might contact ANA or JAL in your country.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

The only catch with those passes is that you have to travel to Japan on either JAL/ANA or one of their partner airlines (eg Star Alliance).

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

>>The only catch with those passes is that you have to travel to Japan on either JAL/ANA or one of their partner airlines (eg Star Alliance).<<

This info is misleading.

Refer to the 'JAL Welcome to Japan Fare' and the 'ANA Visit Japan Fare'.

One doesn't have to fly with either a One World or Star Alliance carrier when he enters Japan to utilize these fares.

Kahuku, HI
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

Holy Cow...I am so confused! I have never heard of air passes. I looked at the website, but got only more confused. So this is like a bus pass? and you buy them online? Sorry for all the questions, BUT is it a situation where you stand in line to get on?

Gosh, I appreciate you all!

Aloha!!

seattle
Level Contributor
641 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

It looks like you have different options on the air passes depending on whether you are traveling with One World or World Alliance Partner airlines to and from Japan. If you aren't, probably best to follow optimistk's advice for the two plans mentioned below:

"Refer to the 'JAL Welcome to Japan Fare' and the 'ANA Visit Japan Fare'."

To cut through any confusion, I suggest you go directly to a local ANA or JAL ticketing office and inquire directly. You should get the most definitive information there and also make the travel arrangements if so inclined.

The main "catch", so to speak, is that the purchase and reservations have to be made outside of Japan. In this regard, they are similar to the way the rail passes function, JR and Eurail, for example. There is some discussion about these passes in the TA Japan forum. Look up "Star Alliance Japan Airpass" in a search of the site as a start.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,511 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

The airpass is just discounted tickets and not an unlimited use pass. Each flight costs between 10000-13000 yen(+tax), depending on which airlines you used\ to fly to Japan. Everything you need to know is on those webpages. Read them again.

There are blackout periods which you cannot use the pass. I used them to fly from Tokyo-Okinawa and they were good as full-fare tickets with all the associated privileges.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,788 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare from Tokyo to Okinawa

Agree with cicimo, just call JAL and ANA, or visit their local office and they should have all the answers for you. Buying an Air Pass is just like buying a one-way ticket (but at a great discount), subject to some limitations depending on the particular airline.