We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yonaguni island dive- how experience do you have to be?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Yonaguni island dive- how experience do you have to be?

We're interested in going to Yonaguni as we will be staying in Ishigaki for couple days, but the main reason for this interest is that we want to see the ancient ruins diving site that everyone is raving about.

Does anyone know if you could do that without a scuba diving license. It does seems like it's not for newbies. Please let us know.

Thanks in advance guys..

Okinawa, Ryukyu...
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yonaguni island dive- how experience do you have to be?

I guess I should have read this post first before answering the previous post about going to Ishigaki and Iriomote.

Yonaguni is far...even from Ishigaki and it will cost you to get there. Also, the underwater ruins dive site is not for beginner divers. The current can be fierce. I would stick with Ishigaki and Iriomote on this trip and if you get a license and some more experience, you can always come back!

Have fun!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yonaguni island dive- how experience do you have to be?

yes that's what I thought, ah the license cost is going to be more expensive than our trip so forget that ! thank you =)

3. Re: Yonaguni island dive- how experience do you have to be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 01, 2009