We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nagasaki Day Trip

CA
Level Contributor
593 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nagasaki Day Trip

My cruise ship will be a Nagasaki from 6 am-6 pm in November. Is there enough time to see Kumamoto by train (should be back at Ngasaki by 4 :30 pm) and do I do that?

Is there more to see at the Kumamoto Castle than Shimabara Castle? Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,362 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nagasaki Day Trip

if you go to google maps and look up the directions between the two places, you will find that it takes 3 hours each way.

CA
Level Contributor
593 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nagasaki Day Trip

I was looking at the maps, but wasn't sure how fast the trains are or their schedules...

Amstelveen, The...
Level Contributor
300 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nagasaki Day Trip

You can check the trains on www.hyperdia.com

It takes 2.5 hrs to Kumamoto. I haven't been to Shimabara castle, but Kumamoto castle is quite impressive. The surrounding castle grounds with it's moat, walls and turrets, give a complete experience of a Japanese castle: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4501.html

Durham
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nagasaki Day Trip

Hi,

I've been to both castles. The main buildings are concrete reconstructions in both cases but Kumamoto has some original buildings and when I was there a few years ago they were rebuilding another of the original buildings using traditional materials. It's certainly more impressive than Shimabara castle but in Shimabara's favour, the train journey there is shorter and only around a third of the cost of going to Kumamoto. I also think Shimabara would be a more interesting place to look around apart from the castle. It's a nice little town and the water flowing through it everywhere gives it a relaxing atmosphere.

The train journey to Kumamoto would include taking the Shinkansen which you may want to experience. In contrast, the train to Shimabara which you transfer to at Isahaya is a very small train which chugs along at a rather modest pace.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nagasaki Day Trip

If you start early & take 7:30am Ltd Exp. Kagome to Tosu, then transfer to shinkansen Sakura to Kumamoto, you can get there in just over 2 hrs.

The return is the same but you need to take 1:42pm arr.3:48pm.

The next is 2:42pm arr. 4:50pm which may be too late?

The trains are on time and enough transfer time so no need to worry.

The 7,000 yen 3 day JR Northern Kushu Pass will cut the fare over a half.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_05.html

Kumamoto Castle direction:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4501.html

Take a taxi going.

CA
Level Contributor
593 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nagasaki Day Trip

Thanks for the helpful train statin info. I'd like to see some authentic traditionla Japanese architecture. It is much cheaper to go to Shimabara, but seems like it's only 20+ minutes shorter trip.

I saw there are a bunch of Nagasaki stations. I'm coming from the port, so I assume I go to the Nagasaki (Nagaski) station? There are also 3 Kumamoto stations. Where do I get off for the castle?

If I go to Shimabara, there are Shimabara and Shimabaragaiko stations. Where do I get off? Or is the town so small it doesn't matter, and sounds like it will be nice wandering around it?

Durham
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nagasaki Day Trip

Good thinking on the rail pass amazinga.

In hyperdia, the stations to use are Nagasaki (Nagasaki), Kumamoto and Shimabara.

Kumamoto station is quite far from the castle so you'd need to take a taxi or a tram. Here's the tram line route map:

kotsu-kumamoto.jp/Content/…routemapE.pdf

Shimabara castle is a short walk from the station.

CA
Level Contributor
593 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nagasaki Day Trip

You all are amazing! Thanks very much for helping me with the trip!

Reply to: Nagasaki Day Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nagasaki Prefecture