We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Chiran? Possible with only 9 hours in port?

UK
8 posts
Save Topic
Visit to Chiran? Possible with only 9 hours in port?

Hi,

We'll be visiting Kagoshima on Mon 16 August on a cruise, ship docks at 11 and sails at 8pm. Ideally we would love to travel to Chiran to see the Samurai residences and the peace musuem dedicated to the Kamikaze pilots of WWII.

The information I have is that its a 90 min bus ride from Kagoshima but does anybody know if it would be possible to hire a taxi and driver for the return trip? Do you think its feasible to do this in the time allowed on should we stick to Kagoshima itself - Senagen gardens and Mount Saurajima sounds good as a second choice.

Any advice/information would be very welcome

Jo

Sengan-en Garden
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Scenic Walking Areas
Shiroyama Observatory
Observation Decks & Towers
Kumamoto
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Chiran? Possible with only 9 hours in port?

I don't want to be a downer, but I would not suggest this for a daytrip on that date.

You could hire a taxi for the trip, but you would be looking at about $300 roundtrip.

Aug.16 is the last day of the summer Obon holiday, so the roads will be packed with people returning from their hometowns as well as daytrippers. The trip to Chiran will take at least twice the normal amount of time.

The Kamikaze museum is fascination, but not set up well for non-Japanese speakers. Even young Japanese people have trouble with some of the exhibits, as the letters written by the kamikaze pilots are using antiquated writing styles which many young people do not have experience reading.

The gardens at Senganen are fantastic and feature buildings from the Shimadzu clan, very similar to those in Chiran but you can go inside, sit, and even participate in a tea ceremony if you choose. It's easy to get to using the Kagoshima City View bus and you will minimize your chances of being back late to the ship.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,674 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Chiran? Possible with only 9 hours in port?

That taxi ride would be very expensive. Japan is not the kind of place where you ordinarily hire a taxi for a 90 minute ride.

I have been to Kagoshima a number of times--with only 8 hours I suggest you stick to the Senagen Gardens/Sakurajima Island plan.

PS-if you want to try a Japanese onsen, there is one extremely close to the ferry terminal on Sakurajima. Just walk about 10 minutes to the right--it is called Rainbow Sakurajima/

Here is a link in Japanese but you can see what it looks like. Only Y300 to go in, and an extra Y200 for a towel. Also nearby is a volcano museum and a nice lava walk, foot bath etc.

www.rainbow-sakurajima.com/onsen/index.html

UK
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Chiran? Possible with only 9 hours in port?

Thanks for your replies. I had a feeling it was going to be too much but it was worth asking. From what I've read we'll still have a fantastic time in Kagoshima itself and tbh I can do without the stress of worrying that I'll miss the boat!

I would love to vist an onsen but both myself and my partner have tattoos - mine is only a small one on my shoulder but the OH's are pretty visible (arms and back) and I've been told they'll turn you away with tattoos :(

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,674 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Chiran? Possible with only 9 hours in port?

Yes, pretty sure that onsen would turn you away..the good news is though that Japan's largest footbath is outside, and it is free. You can at least soak your feet in it, go for a walk down a lava trail, see the (free) volcano museum, etc.

I am sure you will have a great time. I have always wanted to go to those gardens too, but somehow never found the time.

Kumamoto
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Chiran? Possible with only 9 hours in port?

There is another option for onsen on Sakurajima if you are tattooed- Furusato onsen. You wear a white yukata into the coed bath, so tattoos are almost not visible. I have been there and my tattoo was fine, as was my brother-in-law's half sleeve. Furusato onsen is a bit farther in so you need to take a taxi (700yen or so) and the onsen itself is one expensive side (1000yen iirc) but it is outside with a view of the sea and well worth it in my opinion.

6. Re: Visit to Chiran? Possible with only 9 hours in port?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 15, 2011