We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

Which Kagoshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

My husband and I will be visiting Kagoshima in April 2010. Unfortunately there are no sightseeing tours available from the ship that we sail into Kagoshima on. We are keen to go to Sakurajima anf to fit in other sightseeing if possible. The ship docks at 11:30 am and departs at 7:00 pm on 28th April on "Legends of the Seas", so we have limited time. I have been in touch with Goodwill guides but as it is a week day they are unable to find a guide. Is it possible that there will be sightseeing tours available for passengers independent of the ship? Are there sightseeing tour companies or guides, other than goodwill guides whom we may engage to for sightseeing? Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

Check out this page (near the bottom). It looks like you would have sufficient time to either go on the Kagoshima & Sakurajima Short Tour Bus

, the Sakurajima Nature Sightseeing Tour Bus or Kagoshima City Tour Bus (3.30 hours). Just rembember, those tours are in Japanese only and the guides can be very verbose!

synapse.ne.jp/update/…transport-e.html

You could always just visit Sakurajima by yourself. It is a short ferry ride from near the aquarium. You would need some yen to pay for the fare (I believe 150Y per trip, payable only on the Sakurajima side). Once there , walk to the right. There is a "lava trail", small beach, fishing pier Japan's largest hot footbath, a small volcano museum and there is an Onsen (Rainbow Onsen) which is one of my favourites. For Y300 you can relax in a hotspring overlooking the bay.

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

I will also be going to Kagoshima on cruise. Do you know how to go to the Kagoshima Ferry Terminal (to Sakurajima) from the cruise terminal? Can we walk there and how long does it take? Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

I will also be going to Kagoshima on cruise. Do you know how to go to the Kagoshima Ferry Terminal (to Sakurajima) from the cruise terminal? Can we walk there and how long does it take? Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

I don't think you could walk--probably have to take a taxi.

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

Thanks! Do you have any idea how far is it and how much will it cost by taxi?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

Not exactly as to taxi fare. I recall reading once that a taxi from the port to Kaghoshimachuo station would be about Y1800--my guess it would be no more than that.

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

Thanks! By the way, you have any idea how should I go about to explore Sakurajima? How long will it take to see the island? Will half day be sufficient?

8. Re: Sightseeing tours from the port in Kagoshima

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kagoshima