We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Fukuoka

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Fukuoka

Hi all. I am planning to spend 3 nights at Fukuoka this July. I saw on this website that there are places such as Fukuoka Tower and Canal City shopping mall that are worth visiting, but I will like to include 1 or 2 day trips out of the city itself. Can anyone who have been to Fukuoka recommend any good day trips? I'm not keen on spending more than 2 hours on the train ride for a day trip, so faraway cities like Nagasaki and Kumamoto are out. Hope you guys can advise. Thanks very much.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day trip from Fukuoka

Looks like some are Occhokochoi. Did anyone say to go to Kurume for squid?

Along Kyushu Genkai-nada and Korea. fishermen go out to night squid fishing.in the Japan Sea. You may see bright lights far out in the Sea horizon.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day trip from Fukuoka

May I know is it a good time to visit Yufuin as a day trip in July? I know weather is pretty hot then.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day trip from Fukuoka

Hi there I am not a big mall fan but canal city is something special. Fufuoka is not rich on sites but there are some nice temples. Dont dismiss nagasaki. Its a lovely city and it was of course the second city hit by the atomic bomb and the sites are every bit as good as Hiroshima. Yes the train is slow but I did it and managed to see all the bomb sites and finish my day watching the sun set from the summit of Mount Inasa which was stunning. It was a packed but very worthwhile day. Another place worth visiting and not so far is Shimonoseki. Its a seaside town and famous for the puffer fish which you can sample at the fish market. I only had half a day but there are several worthwhile sites and its one of those laid back sort of places thats nice to walk around.

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,687 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Day trip from Fukuoka

Yufuin is definitely worth going but it is best enjoyed by staying a night for a relaxing onsen experience. 2 things you will probably miss if not being there early in the morning are the beautiful sight of mist rising from Kinrin-ko and the popular B-Speak cakes which get sold-out fast once the shop is opened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ReW8uzk7LU

http://www.coara.or.jp/shop/2000/09/bspeak/

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Day trip from Fukuoka

Of course, it is good to visit Yufuin anytime. It is a valley onsen town with steam rising surrounded by mountains.

Yufuin offers many street food vendors, art/craft galleries/shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. from JR Yufuin station to Kinrinko Lake & other areas. There is a tourist info. office in the station. You can walk around or use bicycle rental, Rikisha, etc. A luggage storage office across from the station.

My favorite cafe is in the attic of the old warehouse in Kamenoi Besso property. The local craft center is along the river where many tour buses are parked.

My other favorite shop is the tiny Kurume Kasuri clothes shop but there are also 1,000yen shops(Kyoto based) which has better design/quality/selection than 100yen shops.

Many ryokans/hotels offer day use onsen for a fee. But there is a straw thatched public onsen (honor system) right on the Kinrinko Lake. JR Yufuin station has a free foot bath on the north end of the platform(take a small towel for drying).

Addition: There are many restaurants but if you want away from tourists, there are a family restaurant on the main bus road and a ramen shop, a small department store & others for the locals on the left side(north) from the JR station. Also CO-OP supermarket and a bento shop, etc. toward Kinrinko.

16. Re: Day trip from Fukuoka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, June 22, 2013