We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fukuoka and Mount Aso

hong kong
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fukuoka and Mount Aso

Dear Travel Experts,

Finally persauded my hubbie to visit Japan.

We will be arriving in Fukuoka on 21.03 and leaving 24.03 ... now here are my questions

1. Will we be able to see the Cherry Blossoms, if yes, which is the best place?

2. on 22.03 or 23.03 want to do a day trip to Mount Aso. Is this possible? probably very hectic but a must do..

3. Can you share the best way to get there from Fukuoka to Mt Aso and way back of course

4. Do i need rail pass

5. What other interesting places can I visit in the city of Fukuoka

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fukuoka and Mount Aso

By train it is about 2.5 hrs from Fukuoka to Aso with a transfer in Kumamoto. From Aso rail station you still have to take a 35 min bus to reach Mt. Aso. In Kumamoto there is a bus going to Beppu that has a stop in Mt. Aso and the journey time is about 2 hrs. With the infrequent train + bus connection, doing Aso as a daytrip by public transport from Fukuoka is not a very good idea. Using Kumamoto as a base would be better. If Mt. Aso is your only out of town destination, there is no need to buy a rail pass.

Under normal condition the latter half of March is a good time for cherry blossom in Fukuoka (provided the weather cooperates). A popular spot for sakura in town is the city park of Ohori-koen. The following is a blog report last year.

japan-guide.com/blog/…110331_fukuoka.html

Places in Fukuoka worth a look are Fukuoka Tower, Robo Square, Fukuoka Yahoo Dome, Uminakamichi Seaside Park and Marine World, Hawks Town Mall, Marinoa City, Maizuru Park, Hakata Machiya, Fukuoka City Museum, Canal City Hakata, Tenjin district, Yanagibashi Coop Market and Fukuoka Fish Market. And of course not forgetting Fukuoka’s famous Yatai food stalls.

2. Re: Fukuoka and Mount Aso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, May 28, 2013