We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

eindhoven
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

After visitng Tokyo and Kyoto for 8 days we will stay in Fukuoka for 5 days end of July. I would be interested to know if there are any nice beaches for swimming in or around Fukuoka that are easily accessible by bus or train.

What else is there in terms of nature and culture beside museum and shrines, which I already have on my list. This is my (and my husband's) first time in Japan.

Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,161 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

There are beaches around Fukuoka, and Higashi-Karatsu and Nishi Karatsu beaches accessed by Metro-JR through service are perhaps the nicest. However, these beaches that face the Sea of Japan and the Tsushima straits are local favorites and not ideal tourist destinations for people coming to Japan for a short holiday. The northern half of Kyushu is quite built up and industrialized, just like in Honshu.

If you would like to see nature I would suggest going to Mt.Aso, and for the beaches, to Miyazaki city and the Pacific coastline south of the prefecture to enjoy a great view (Kushima is has a wonderful beach). You may access Mt Aso from Kumamoto and Miyazaki from Kagoshima by the Shinkansen.

Edited: 8:32 am, July 13, 2011
eindhoven
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

Thanks!

In other words, there are no easy reachable beaches from the downtown Fukuoka? :(

Hiroshima
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

There is an artificial beach near the Fukuoka Yahoo! Japan dome. However, do not expect it so much. Fukuoka city is not a resort. http://www.marizon-kankyo.jp/en/beach.html

Edited: 9:31 am, July 13, 2011
Amstelveen, The...
Level Contributor
300 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

Karatsu is a nice area, with some nice scenic nature sights, but it will be easier to access by car: www.karatsu-kankou.jp/english_kanko.html

Some of the beaches are walking distance from train stations.

eindhoven
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

Thank you all for your answers. My idea was to have a "beach day" while staying in Fukuoka downtown hotel. Beach resort is not what I am looking for, merely a beach where it is safe to swim, since we are coming to Japan in the hottest period of the year. Considering the weather is hot and humid, I was hoping to spend as little time as possible on the public transport.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,161 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

As for public transport, most if not all trains should have ACs. Some Karatsu beaches are easily accessed by Metro/JR through service trains (Higashi-Karatsu might be better than more built up Nishi-Karatsu).

Edited: 9:21 am, July 14, 2011
SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

Go to easily reachable Shikanoshima by boat from Hakata Port or by bus. It has calm inner Hakata Bay side or relatively calm Japan Sea side on the narrow sandy beach peninsula. Or go to the north western rocky tip for GenkaiNada rough wave.

http://yokanavi.com/eg/landmark/index/475

The area has everything to everybody, food, rest beach house, camp sites, etc.

Or go to Nokonoshima island in the Hakata Bay.

If you want to get away from the crowed and experience off the beaten path, go to Iki Island. They have the great calm beaches & sea food restaurants serving sea shell sashimi.

eindhoven
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

Thanks amazinga!

This is exactly what I was looking for! Hope the ferry is not too expensive.

Japan
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

I am suprised that Itoshima is not mentioned here. The best beaches in Fukuoka are in Itoshima I think, which is an hours drive from Tenjin. Check out Futamigaura by the Itoshima coast. Somewhere in the middle of this post is a photo of Futamigaura: http://www.fukuokadreaming.com/?p=1158

10. Re: Best beaches for swimming in and around Fukuoka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, May 12, 2013