We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Kyushu starting in Fukuoka where should we go

Which Fukuoka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
7 days in Kyushu starting in Fukuoka where should we go

Hi my family is taking a trip to Kyushu Island starting at Fukuoka. We will be hiring a car. Can someone suggest the route and where it is worth going? Thanks.

Beppu
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Kyushu starting in Fukuoka where should we go

Beppu - the biggest hot spring spa resort in Japan

Mt.Aso - the biggest active volcano in Japan

Kumamoto - one of the most beautiful castles in Japan

Pacific ocean coastline - Nichinan (Udo Shrine)

If you were interesting in cheap traditional style accommodation in beppu, google for HAPPY NEKO...

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Kyushu starting in Fukuoka where should we go

You don't say if you've been to Kyushu before. Nagasaki is a very interesting city. Lots of cultural diversity and history.

But my favourite city on Kyushu has to be Kagoshima. It calls itself the Naples of Japan (because of Sakurajima) but its vibe reminds me most of San Francisco. It is a beautiful city and has a lot of gorgeous sights and interesting history (home of the Satsuma Rebellion, Saigo Takamori etc.). It is also close to a variety of other interesting areas including the short ferry ride to the volcano.

Beppu is a bit of a 'blackpool' type place. A holiday town. But the hotsprings are amazing.

Another spot in Kyushu that I stumbled upon is Kokura. Probably not worth a trip on its own, it is only a very short day trip from Fukuoko. I enjoyed the friendly people, the futuristic monorail and the castle.

Edited: 6:42 pm, November 09, 2010
Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
4,963 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Kyushu starting in Fukuoka where should we go

I ditto the places above. I thought Nagasaki was great and the people there were more relaxed or laid-back than the Kansai people. We drove from there and then took a car ferry from Sasebo to get to Kumamoto. I liked the castle there very much as Bibo-jp pointed out. We just spent the day in Kumamoto and then drove to Mt. Aso and spent 2 nights there just relaxing and hiking around. One night would probably be enough. Mt. Aso was very cool. We actually had no idea what to expect beyond the green cone but then we went to the top and were able to look down into it and saw the bright green\yellow sulphur bubbling up. I'd only ever seen red lava in other volcanoes so it was really interesting to see Mt. Aso. We also didn't know until after we returned that we were lucky enough to have been allowed up to the top because it is often too dangerous to let people approach it.

I also want to "second" Redtrail's plug for Kagoshima. It's a place that should not be missed if you can squeeze it in.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Kyushu starting in Fukuoka where should we go

Suggestions.

Drive over the Seburi mountain or stay on the toll road to Saga, Arita pottery town, Nagasaki, open air Unzen steam rising (I prefer to Beppu), Shimabara ferry to Kumamoto, Takachiho gorges and god dance, Aso volcano, Kurokawa onsen, Yufuin onsen and back. Or go to Kagoshima.

http://www.welcomekyushu.com/

5. Re: 7 days in Kyushu starting in Fukuoka where should we go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:29 am, May 09, 2011