We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

I'll be in the Osaka area over the new year, and was thinking of taking a trip up to Otsu and/or Hikone for a few days, as I've never been to that area of Japan before. Are they worth visiting? Is there much going on there or any sightseeing to be done?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

Did anyone ever reply? Going to Japan in April and was wondering the same thing. Did you end upgoing to Otsu and would it be a Ok place to stay? thanks

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
346 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

Sorry, never made it out that way, and never got a reply. I ended up spending time in Kyoto. I've been told by Japanese friends that both Otsu and Hikone are beautiful areas, but I'm not sure if that makes them worth visiting over places like Kyoto and Nara. If you've got the time, I suspect it might be worth going there, but if you're only on a short trip, there are better options.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

I think we'll just go Kyoto and Nara thanks for the reply

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

I understand Otsu has long been a spa town. I expect it to have a mix of modern luxery and classic japanese tradition also. It appears to be beside the sea and I want to see the coast on my Kyoto trip and also to stay at a traditional hot springs spa so I am investigating a visit to Otsu.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

It's not the sea but the lake you see located right by Otsu...and that the biggest in Japan. The lakewater is anything but crystal clear, but it has a good feel to it.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,337 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

>>>I understand Otsu has long been a spa town<<<

Spas around Biwa Lake are not traditional spas. They are called "soapland" where men go and pay to play with soapy girls, if you know what I mean.

東京
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

Just in my opinion,I prefer Ohtu,Hikone than Kyoto.

Kyoto is more...commercial to me. everything is expencive.

in Ohtu area,there are many place to visit.

Ishiyama temple(AD747),ohmi hachiman canal area,hikone castle.

more quiet,less tourists,relax, I would say healing time.

If you have 2~3days in kyoto,should spend 1 day in this area.

8. Re: Are Otsu and Hikone worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 20, 2009