We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two days from Osaka to Tokyo Nara and Koyasan possible ?

Mantova
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
two days from Osaka to Tokyo Nara and Koyasan possible ?

Hello, i'm trying to plan my first trip to Japan with my young daughter next April. I'm planning to join a tour :Tokyo (3days) Nikko (2),Kyoto( 2 and half). I can arrive in Osaka-Kansai on April 17 around 18.00 and have to be in Tokyo April 19 late afternoon.

Could I hope to reach Koyasan, stay overnight April 17, visit Koyasan April 18 and reach Nara on the same day, visit Nara morning 19 and get on a train from Kyoto to Tokyo in the afternoon?

would it be possible to hire a taxi from Kansai airport to Koyasan to gain time? would it be impossibly expensive? i have a general idea of train schedules and it seems I should skip one destination, but i can't make up my mind.... so any advice would be a great help. thank you!

Mantova
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: two days from Osaka to Tokyo Nara and Koyasan possible ?

thank you to you all. . your replies are all helpful. First step i am now going to buy my intercontinental ticket into Osaka. ( that was the main issue at this point: Osaka or Tokyo)Then in January/february or so I will get back to this forum for detailed advice once I have seen the forecast for cherry blossom blooming in Yoshino. in the meantime i am also going to do some "study-work" on the options Nara or Koyasan. in any case one last question :do you think if I decide to stay in Nara for two nights i can still reach Yoshino on a day trip if the blossoms are still there? That would be great also. please forgive me but I have no idea of travel times in the area so I have to ask very naive questions.. In my past travels I have often asked the help of a local guide to find my way around public transport without wasting time ( I never have long breaks from work) or hired car/driver to get to places. In this way I have been able to meet very nice people who really helped me get to know the country a bit from a "local" perspective and that was great. I will always remember them and I treasure the memory of what I learned from them. ok, sorry about this bit but I felt i wanted to share this. Thank you again for your help

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: two days from Osaka to Tokyo Nara and Koyasan possible ?

Yoshino or Koysan depends on your preference, but I recommend going to Yoshino because:

1) The rail connection between KIX-Osaka-Koyasan takes time than usually imagined ; taxi can cost a lot ; shukubo stay is better appreciated when you are all relaxed with ample time and able to attend the morning sessions for your interest

2) Yoshino is as great as Koyasan (in terms of historic importance and as a hiking spot) although it is less mentioned in foreign guidebooks ; it's cherry blossom time and Yoshino is the most well-known spot for the Yamazakura type of trees.

3) Transport between KIX-Nara is okay (easy to do by bus); train connections from Nara City to Yoshino is good (take the Kintetsu Ltd Exp from Yamato Saidaiji, change at Kashiwara Jingumae). In fact, as Shibuyakko-san noted, choosing a hotel around Osaka's Tennoji / Abenobashi station might be recommended, as there is a direct train both to Yoshino (from Kintetsu's Osaka Abenobashi station), to Nara (from JR Tennoji station across the street from Tennoji station), from KIX (JR Haruka arrives at Tennoji).

Edited: 9:24 pm, September 30, 2013
Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: two days from Osaka to Tokyo Nara and Koyasan possible ?

<<in any case one last question :do you think if I decide to stay in Nara for two nights i can still reach Yoshino on a day trip if the blossoms are still there?>>

I won't say it's as much of a breeze traveling from Nara to Yoshino as it is going from/to Osaka to/from Kyoto, for instance. Yes, Mt Yoshino is only a 45-50min drive away from where I live if for an outing on a weekday, so I think the same in your case if by car... No, I'm not suggesting you cab it there or rent a car. Haven't yet gone to the taxi-fare site this time around, so I think I better hold my tongue regarding the fare. ;) Yet the distance involved is only 40-something kilometers as the crow flies. And so, rest assured the network of rail can also put forth its best possible effort: http://tinyurl.com/lamljsv

Depends on year/weather patterns, but I should think mid-April is a bit too late to soak in the peak-time sakuras in Mt Yoshino. Yes, the mid- to upper-part of the mountain may still possibly be what you’d expect, yet the biggest reward is, IMO, to be had when you look below from there. Maybe you’ll know what I’m talking about if you see a pic of waning sakuras I took up there 3years back like this:

tripadvisor.com/…last

Mantova
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: two days from Osaka to Tokyo Nara and Koyasan possible ?

Thank you!!

i am now thinking of Yoshino and Nara then. am only wondering if spending the night at Nara or Yoshino would allow me to take a walk and enjoy the place in the evening before it gets too late at night. Again I am just wondering, I have no idea.....

( great pics Shot!) If you can find out about taxi fares Yoshino- Nara I will be greatful for life!! and.... i will cook a big, delicious Italian dinner for you all if you ever come to Italy!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: two days from Osaka to Tokyo Nara and Koyasan possible ?

Both places are open 24/7, so no problem walking around in the evening, particularly when they have a light-up going on. There's a nice spot for that in Deer Park Nara:

http://tinyurl.com/9wmh4sb

http://tinyurl.com/ktrv5ox

Yes, nighttime sakura gives you a positive twist for sure, but you should definitely see them in their grandeur during the daytime also, particularly when the delicate petals reflect the soft rays of the morning sun.

I may be wrong, but along that line above, I'd say that a memerizing effect on your mind can be had when you catch sakuras trees carpeting the slopes of Mt Yoshino in the morning mist, like this:

http://tinyurl.com/ogreagd

Yes, when the sun goes high, they wake up to become a knockout beauty:

http://tinyurl.com/prpyupj

Oh, I almost forgot to say:

the same taxi-fare site tells me Kintesu Nara to Mt Yoshino is 13600-14500yens, 90min.

Yes, an early bird will know that '90min' above can be reduced to half, give or take a few min.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: two days from Osaka to Tokyo Nara and Koyasan possible ?

Sorry, let me add:

Sto bene con una pizza margarita e del vino rosso, se dovessi mai avere una possibilità. ;)

Thanks.

17. Re: two days from Osaka to Tokyo Nara and Koyasan possible ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 04, 2014